Delta flight OVERNIGHT delay due to mechanical issues

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jmrich1432, May 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My MDT-ATL flight is delayed to the extent that I will certainly miss the last connecting flight to TPA. I have been re-booked (into F, thank you) for a 7:30 am flight TOMORROW. I believe the DL COC states that they will provide lodging for an overnight delay. Can someone confirm this? I will be checking back so I know what I can ask for. Is asking for compensation (DL$ or miles) reasonable? It will end up being an 8.5 hour, overnight delay.

If you have some experience with this, I would greatly appreciate your insight. I'm not looking for blood, but I would rather not sleep on the floor at ATL!

PS- I'm most upset I won't get to visit several SCs and collect my 300 MR certifs! Haha

Thanks, MP!!

MSPeconomist likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot depends on the reason for the delay. As a general rule, if it's considered to be DL's fault, you get goodies and if it's not their fault (weather, air traffic control, act of war, etc.), you're entitled to nothing. Sometimes it can be ambiguous and DL will claim not to be at fault--for example, a mechanical delay and then weather turns bad, causing a further delay. The official rules are on DL's conditions of carriage, available online.

Realistically, what you'll get will depend on your status with DL. A coach passenger who isn't a DL FF elite will at best get a basic hotel (or voucher for part of the cost) with a free airport shuttle and a few meal vouchers, probably $7 for breakfast/lunch and $10 for dinner IIRC, valid only in certain food outlets (perhaps airport but not your hotel). Elites tend to be treated better, with nicer hotels, and might be taken care of even when the delay is not Delta's fault.

Regardless, be polite and ask nicely for the best they can do. Your vouchers might be spit out automatically by the rebooking kiosk. If you're not happy, it can be worthwhile to talk with a redcoat.

Casey Friday, jmrich1432 and viguera like this.
  3. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please. w/a 7:30am flight and time tonight you should be able to visit more :)

jmrich1432 and MSPeconomist like this.
  4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Active Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, my fiance was booked on a flight that was delayed by several hours, making her connection (last one of the day) impossible to make. Fortunately, she came home and took the first flight out the next day. Sent a note to DL, and she was credited with a $100 voucher plus 15,000 SM.

MSPeconomist and jmrich1432 like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

Most airlines treat overnight delays at home, as well as lost luggage at home, differently than they do when the customer is out of town. The presumption is that you will return home for the night rather than go to an airport hotel. They may also be less generous with meal vouchers.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP referred to mechanical in his header. Assuming he is connecting (and not at a stopover point), he/she should be resting at a DoubleTree or other leading 2*+ hotel at DL's expense.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP is GM with DL, which I don't think generally gets DoubleTree (which are generally more than two star) or equivalent; I would guess Holiday Inn or equivalent, or Hilton Garden Inn, would be more realistic.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    (not rhetorical questions)

Is a double tree really in a different category than a holiday inn? Curious--What are other brands that are similar to double tree?

9. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since the 'relaunch' of the HI brand, I think they both in the same category of mass-market, relatively full-service hotels.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe this isn't accurate, but I think of DoubleTree as a little bit upscale within the the Hilton family. In my mind, DoubleTree is to Hilton as Westin is to Sheraton.

11. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input! I was able to read the posts from MSPeconomist and Deltalina after we landed on my bb. By the time we got to the gate it was 10pm and my original (and last flight of the day) 9:53 flight had already departed. There was a mad dash to the gate agents so I went to the SC @C34 (says it closes at 10, but apparently it's actually 10:30 w/e). The dragon at the desk (thought I was lost until I pulled out the Amex Plat) was able to help me by re-booking me on a morning flight (F). She said she could give me a meal voucher ($6) and a hotel stay at the Sheraton Gateway (which was very nice IMO). I asked nicely if DL offered any kind of compensation for this type of thing and she said she would check. She ended up offering me 2,000 skypesos or $100 DL certif. I opted for the certif and when it spit out it was actually for $250!

All in all, the hotel room was my biggest priority and I got that with no issue. It was a mechanical delay and the CoC does state that you are entitled to a hotel if you are miss the last flight of the day and it's between 10pm and 6am. That it was a nice hotel and the DL $$ were just nice bonuses.

I am home now and much happier to be flying DL tomorrow than I would have been if I had to sleep on the floor of ATL! :D

I was under the impression that most of the lounges in ATL closed at 10pm (other than E, that's what the website says) and opened at 7am. I was wrong about the opening times, they're mostly 6am and obviously the SC in C was actually open until 10:30. I did get 2 MR certif this morning and a 3rd in TPA when I landed, but last night I was told they were only for Business Platinum card holders. They even had a little sign made saying that. Oh well, I am 900 MR richer and tomorrow I will be double-hitting the TPA and MEM lounges. ;)

PS- OP is a she :p

Thanks for your responses!

n301dp, MSPeconomist and Casey Friday like this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You did very well.

13. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There were a lot of displaced pax at the Sheraton and I noticed several DM and PM bag tags standing in line to check in. Some were headed to the Westin, I don't know how they made the call on who got to stay where. I sure felt special in the company of all those DM and PM!

14. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i think it should be DoubleTree:Hilton::Shearaton:Westin! man i miss the SATs. ;)

15. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's a MR cert? AMEX Membership Rewards certificate? I googled to my heart's content, and all I could find was:
    Is this what you're talking about, OP? Also, how are you acquiring them?

In other news, my wife and I were on a flight home from LHR-ATL, and due to the Icelandic volcano, we had to spend the night in ATL. They put us up at the nastiest Courtyard Marriott I've ever been in. I think we got $10 off w/a voucher. I would have TOTALLY paid twice as much for a hotel that I wasn't worried about acquiring a disease from. Well done, on your DL $$ and nice hotel!

jmrich1432 likes this.
  16. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    See this thread for info on the SkyClub/AmEx Lounge Access Program MR promo.

MSPeconomist and Casey Friday like this.
  17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds a bit like DL I used to know! Glad they took decent care of you in the situation. Good call on the $100 versus points, made even better by the $250 result!

Did you try to get SPG points for your Starwood stay?

Sorry! I'm trying (and often, but not always succeeding) to use he/she or s/he in my posts. It's nice to have women and men around places like this!

MSPeconomist likes this.
  18. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprised to hear the bit about Amex Plat business cards only. I collected quite a few vouchers on my personal card yesterday. No mention of needing to be the business card. I'll re-read the back of the voucher tonight from home...

Bad sign that they made a sign saying business only. Might be worth a letter to delta to ask them to clarify.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  19. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was able to get them this morning in both TPA and ATL (B concourse). It was just in that C lounge, they had a little print out and everything. I will be trying againg tomorrow in TPA and MEM, so hopefully it's just the one ATL SC.

BTW - My points from today (put them in this morning) have already posted if anyone's looking for a timeline....

MSPeconomist likes this.
  20. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They did a great job. It was painless, I didn't have to beg for a room or anything. Just gave me my vouchers everything was pleasant and I went on my merry way.

I was surprised that they didn't offer me more miles considering the dollar amount of the voucher I got. I would think (but I'm probably wrong!) that they're better off giving out lots of miles over vouchers. (Does anyone have insight into this??)

I tried to get SPG points, but I was denied. The check-in was basically a line of 20 FF and they were just telling people as they came up with their voucher "here's your key, I'm sorry we can't award points for this stay." I'm sure there were 50 people ahead of me that had already asked!

No worries on the he/she you were 2/3s correct! :p

NYBanker and MSPeconomist like this.
  21. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is clearly a mismatch. The offered ratio was 5 CPM, clearly not what DL would consider to be the right price (if they thought carefully). At $250, it is 12.5 CPM...really encouraging you to take the cash value voucher (set value, no capacity controls on use, but it does expire unlike miles) versus the points. The irops department isn't talking to the people who do the sky miles math.

Sounds like you made the right call. Did your bill have any room charge on it, or was it listed as free? Also, did you have paid incidentals? Those should accrue SPG points. I've gotten hotel points for irops stays before...but it was 5+ years ago. I recall having to write in to get them. (thankfully I've not had overnight irops in 5+ yrs!)

With spg's current free nights program, that night could make the difference in an extra night free!

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that a lot of vouchers expire unused; they're only worth something if you purchase another DL ticket within the next year, roughly. At the moment, miles don't expire on DL, so maybe this is part of the calculation.

Exiled in Express and NYBanker like this.
  23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another advantage of the vouchers is that when you use them, you earn miles for the flights. If you get an award tickets or do even a small fraction of the price by pay-with-miles, the flights don't earn miles, including no MQMs for status and rollover.

NYBanker and jmrich1432 like this.
  24. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I put this squarely in the 'left hand not talking to the right' category. Even at a 50% expiration ratio for vouchers (which i would imaging way higher than the expiry rate for vouchers issued to medallion pax), the voucher cost to DL is significantly higher than the miles cost.

25. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good point. This is a fairly material difference...and I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't think through it far enough!