Delta flight diverts from LGA to JFK, makes emergency landing

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Mike Reed, Aug 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my JFK-LGA shuttle tonight I talked with a passenger who was supposed to have landed at LGA but was instead diverted to JFK. She related a story of attempting to land, going around and circling for an hour and a half with several additional approach attempts before the pilot announced that the brake system on the plane was indicating it was not functional, so they were diverting to JFK for a longer runway to allow for braking via reverse thrust. She reports many scared, crying passengers but no cabin disruptions, and an otherwise normal landing at JFK with a long runout and lots of emergency vehicles.

This coincides with my seeing emergency vehicles converging on a runway about the time she reported this happening, so I believe it to be true.

I don't remember where she said she was coming from and have no additional flight information. Delta did provide her a voucher for the express bus between airports to get her back where she started.

Just FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the culprit was DL 486 from ATL.

Looks like a really nasty route as of late... it actually arrived relatively on time in spite of the circling around and diversion. Over the last couple of weeks it's been cancelled once and arrived significantly late a few times trying to dodge the weather.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL486/history/20130804/1945Z/KATL/KLGA

Mike Reed and mrredskin like this.
  3. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! I'd expect better service recovery than just a shuttle pass! A low value travel voucher at the very least.

I know that LGA runway is a pain... I had a DL CRJ9 abort a landing about a month ago and have to circle the city, because of the angle on approach. All ended well, and we had a great view of midtown and the Statue of Liberty while circling. Sadly, the pilots didn't tell us anything until after we finished the circle.

4. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    you mean LGA - BOS? I would love it if I could do a mom JFK LGA, but I don't think DL flies that route. ;)

Seriously, I would agree - I would have thought DL would do a bit more.

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

No, JFK-LGA. By ground. That kind of shuttle.