Delta flight delayed due to mechanical issue, missed connecting flight

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jmain, Apr 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. jmain

jmain New Member

Status Points:
    I would like to know if anyone knows how to handle this issue:
    We were scheduled on a flight from Cinci to Salt Lake City and our flight coming into Cinci was delayed due to a mechanical issue. We were told in Cinci that we would not make our connecting flight in Salt Lake and no rooms were available and we could stay there and they would get us a room. That is where we are from and we really needed to be in Oregon for an event the next day. We waited for the plane to arrive, boarded and the pilot apologized stating that there was a nose gear issue and nitrogen gas had to be put in the shocks. He also stated that once that was done they were required to wait 2 hours before they could take off. We did land in Salt Lake too late for our connecting flight. We were again told no rooms were available and we would have to stay in the terminal. We were able to locate a room and it also was at the same hotel as the pilot of our plane. He rode over to the hotel with us in the shuttle and again he apologized about the delay and gave the same reason. We already pre-paid for a hotel room in Oregon and were not able to get a refund.
    I contacted Delta's help line via e-mail and in about 5 days received a response stating that they were very sorry for our inconvenience but since it was a "weather" delay, we were not entitled to any reimbursement from them. I again responded to them stating that it was not weather related. I would have no knowledge about the technical issue that was told to us by the pilot and requested again to have our flights and room reimbursed. Again, they emailed back stating it was weather related. We did arrive in Oregon the next afternoon but was very late for the event we went for. How do I go about getting this corrected? I asked for a phone number and a supervisor's name 4 days ago but have not had a response.

MX likes this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't believe you couldn't find a room in SLC, there are all kinds of rooms near the airport and downtown (which is really close). Also did you try calling your hotel, usually in a situation like that they'll work with you. Also, depending on what credit card you have, there may be some trip interruption features which you can take advantage of

DTWBOB

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why are you asking for the flights to be reimbursed? IMO DL oows you for a reasonable hotel room rate, but not a refund of the ticket price.

You could have cancelled the trip or even flown home from SLC and received a refund by declaring that the delay made it a "trip in vain" if you were going to be too late for your event in Orgeon.

This assumes that you ahdd a single ticket/PNR.

Do you have any status with DL ((or SkyTeam)??

anileze likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe there were no rooms available at the rate DL was willing to pay.

anileze likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Write a letter. Be very factual, no dramas. Cite the specific mechanical reason stated for cancellation. Make a specific request for your hotel costs and associated meals/etc to be reimbursed. Include copies of receipts. Don't ask for things beyond your incremental hotel costs or your foregone hotel night in Oregon.

Mail it to Delta Air Lines Post Office Box 20980 Atlanta, Georgia 30320-2980.

You'll get your SLC expenses covered.

MSPeconomist, anileze and timfrost like this.
  6. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 to NYBanker. Include your receipts, but make copies and send the copies so you're not giving up your only proof. You traveled to and from your O/D so Delta doesn't owe you anything for the flights, but should make a reasonable reimbursement for your hotel and meals. As stated above by @MSPeconomist, Delta gave you several opportunities to not travel and you chose to go anyway, which reduces some of your bargaining power. You also state that you were told no rooms were available but that Delta would get you a room? Were you on multiple reservations or was this a single ticket?

What dates did this occur on and what was your final destination in Oregon?

MSPeconomist and anileze like this.