Delta Fare Pricing

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by brfort, Feb 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok I might be imagining things, but I have noticed in the past few weeks a definite change in delta fare prices. It seems that anymore than 5-6 weeks out they are ridiculously high, sometime nearly 100-200 dollars more than anyone else. In that 5-6 week window they are within the market price, and inside of 5 weeks they are roughly 30% higher. Is this all about the capacity targets that we have been hearing about AND is anyone else noticing this?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been standard wisdom on DL for a while, perhaps at least as far back as the merger, that with DL pricing patterns it can be a big mistake to purchase a ticket too early.

deltagoldLass, sobore and autolycus like this.
  3. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I never notified really til now. Just looking at flights to Bermuda for the summer and delta is sky high. It's kinda crazy.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    At 30% higher, I might look at other carriers if I wanted to book early.
    I was looking for a flight to FLL and ended up booking on US as DL wanted $70 more for the flight.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not travel on US for a $70 difference--maybe for $700.

deltagoldLass likes this.
  6. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I'm noticing is a variation of prices by day of the week that you purchase your tickets.... I think what happens is they release a few seats in the lowest bucket, they get sold, and then then release some more, or pull them back.... and with fuel prices about to go way up.....

DTWBOB

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL! An error in judgment on my part. :p

8. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed that as well. Tuesdays and Sundays have been the good days for me. But who knows. Its all so fluid now. Just frustrated because I like having my tickets really early as opposed to playing the waiting game.

9. Haloastro

Haloastro Active Member

Status Points:
    With the exception of holiday periods, I've done pretty well grabbing good fares 3-6 weeks out, and sometimes just inside the T-21 and T-14 day advance purchase windows if the flights that I want have a lot of empty seats. I almost never buy anything earlier than 6-8 weeks out, unless the plane is getting full and/or there's a really good fare sale across several carriers and the prices drop well below the average fare that I typically see for a given route.

10. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    What fare classes are these usually?

If it isn't U or T fare you are aren't getting their best prices.