Delta: "Enjoy Increased Service to San Juan" - Will AA respond?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Juanefny, Mar 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    While AA continues gutting what was once a hub in SJU, Delta seems to be filling the gap. I just received the following email from DL:

Hello Mr. Fernandez,

Say "hello" to Puerto Rico - or perhaps "it's good to see you again."

We're tripling our flights to San Juan (SJU) out of New York-JFK. That means three times as many opportunities to land in this Caribbean capital when you fly with us. Plus, if you're flying from New York-JFK, you'll be served a complimentary light meal onboard.

Why wait? It's time to explore San Juan's intriguing history and lively culture.

We hope to see you soon.

Book A Flight

2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised Delta didn't call this an improvement in service <lol>

DTWBOB

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Is additional service not an improvement? :confused:

Haven't you kinda answered your own question in the first sentence? ;) AA seems to be focused on maintaining routes to business markets and bolstering connections to JBV partners. I'm not sure adding additional service after a purposeful decrease to a destination that is largely (not all...) VFR and cruise ship departures/tourism is on the radar.

4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kinda depends on what equipment is used doesn't it ?

<lol>

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LHR on a CRJ? No thanks. But 95% of the time I'll take additional service over no service. :)

Plus seems the JFK-SJU flights on DL will have a small meal service. Can't be all bad!

6. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL must have had data showing this "improvement" would be profitable. Not only are they tripling the amount of flights, but they will now offer a light meal service.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    DL has data on what DL should do, not what AA should do. DL's financial situation and cost structure are very different from AA's. Under that logic, AA should start service to DKR, JNB, and ARN, too.

iloveawardtravel and kyunbit like this.
  8. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, please let's expand service! :D

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm all about a big, healthier AA route map. They're going to have to make smart decision about where they do that though. I don't think SJU is the go-to locale. :)

iloveawardtravel likes this.
  10. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ehh it just seems to me like AA cuts back any and all destinations where there is competitions and just can't compete. SJU should be pretty profitable. After all, flying there from places like ABQ is actually quite expensive.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure AA has cut back, but it hasn't cut back in all places, particularly where they are fairly strong. As I said in another thread, they seem focused on JBV partner connections and South America. They're cutting weaker routes to be sure though.

I don't want to get into the minutae of airline pricing, but the idea that SJU must be profitable because it's "expensive" doesn't really grasp the complexity of pricing, yields, operating costs, etc.

JNB280 likes this.
  12. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very well put David..However, I wish AA would expand their network. AA has very few aspirational routes to keep flyers motivated.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA needs profitable routes more than aspirational routes. If they can do that by adding new map points, even better! :)

14. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    DLstarted MIA/LHR mid last year and recently announced the termination of that route... I suppose the corollary drawn here is AA is not making any money on those flights?.....certainly based on some of the ideas presented here then perhaps you explain to me why do you suppose AA didnt quit that route.:)

15. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the end of the day, AA is doing analysis on what routes make sense. What any other airline does or doesn't do on any given route is completely based upon their own analysis. Things can differ from airline to airline, route to route. What may be an unprofitable route for one airline may be profitable to another.

Let's just hope that the airlines are doing the right thing in staying profitable while still testing out the waters in new routes and service.

iloveawardtravel likes this.
  16. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does DL allow usage of system-wide upgrades on deep discount economy fares?

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't look like it:

• Valid for use within or between the 50 United States, Canada, the Caribbean, Bermuda, and Mexico on published Economy class fares booked in Y, B, M, H, Q, or K class. Valid for use between Asia, Central America, Europe, India, Australia, North America, South America, and Africa on published Economy class fares booked in Y, B, M class.

18. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So perhaps we need a "Delta does this, why doesn't AA?" thread for this issue as well :)

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Already exists on FT, not sure we want to recreate the pandemonium here.... :D

mowogo likes this.
  20. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    hey, hey, I don't like DL At all.. I switched from DL to AA last year. I do think it's sad that they gutted what was once a nice hub in SJU, where I was born and grew up.
    I can go down the list of things that AA does better than DL, but their worthless SWUs was one of the biggest things that pushed me to AA. Sometimes the BYM fares on DL were higher than the business class fares!

21. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and I'm sure there's a reason they call Delta's miles "sky pesos." Ah, but before this morphs into a delta basing thread, I think the jist of several posts it the difficulty in going with a "Airline A does this, why doesn't airline B do it too?". Coming from LHR on AA, going via JFK to SJU is easy...or is about to be "was" easy......and I cringe at the thought of having to do that via MIA now....serious cringing, actually.............but I'm sure either airline looks at its routes and does what it thinks it needs to do.