Delta Ends Earning MQMs Flights on Korean Air and Select Other Airlines

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Canarsie, Jun 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    As of September 1, 2013, you will no longer earn Medallion Qualification Miles towards elite status in the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program on any airfare with Korean Air, Hawaiian Airlines, Malaysia Airlines and Olympic Airways.

You will earn reduced SkyMiles and Medallion Qualification Miles on many other partner airlines; while the earning will increase on a select few airlines.

Partner airlines have been separated into four groups, as shown in the attached chart:

Attached Files:

2. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I get it that partners come and go and Malaysia is now in One World, but Korean?? That's one of the founding members of Skyteam. That's just nuts

anileze, DiverDave, Flyer1976 and 3 others like this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]BEST IN CLASS [​IMG]

Davescj, Gtitan, anileze and 7 others like this.
  4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    MH has never had MQM earning with Delta. Same with HA and OA. The big loss here is that the big partner in Asia in SkyTeam is KE.

5. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree — it makes absolutely no sense.

Even more bizarre is that you can benefit more from some airline partners who are not a part of the SkyTeam alliance...

DiverDave and tommy777 like this.
  6. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I was quite surprised about Korean.....

Davescj and skyvan like this.
  7. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Deleted

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Iirc, they had already scaled back KE earnings recently...but zero mqm credit is a big surprise.

Sometimes the price difference between KE and DL paper for the same flight is material. And, you can't buy an F ticket on DL paper.

This change warrants a letter...but I somehow suspect mine will be one of one.

anileze, DiverDave and MJonTravel like this.
  9. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta Air Lines has reaffirmed its position as the Wing of Satan.

Gtitan, diver90, JoeCortez and 2 others like this.
  10. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it is the beginning of the end of Alliances. Bilateral agreements will define the landscape. When Skyteam added too many asian carriers into Skyteam too fast (just reminds you of the sudden EU expansion mess :) ) I think Korean was not too happy. KE has also made DL marketed seats also rather expensive. Last year I took JFK-ICN-SGN on KE which was a delight; I like the airport, I like the lounge.

But zero MQM - No way !!!:mad:

traveller99 likes this.
  11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The alliances have to prove their economic value to the member airlines. There are clearly costs in awarding miles and EQMs and in redeeming awards, but there are also benefits in effectively extending your network reach, your lounge network, and keeping customers loyal. From my perspective it sure seems like Star Alliance and OneWorld have stronger benefits for customers and a more cohesive membership than SkyTeam. But then again, DL seems to make their miles less valuable generally.

traveller99 and Gtitan like this.
  12. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was looking at the new 'groupings' today. Interesting to see the various configurations. FWIW, however, if you by the ticket as a DL codeshare (that is it has the DL flight number) you get the DL earning credits, regardless of who is running the flight. So if you fly Korean, make sure you have AF#### on your boarding pass, it earns like AF.

anileze likes this.