Delta dropping codeshare to some Italian destinations?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Jan 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I usually fly into Pisa 5x per year. My typical flights the past few years have been either through CDG or FCO, with AF operating CDG-PSA or AZ operating FCO-PSA. I started running into difficulty last fall finding flights; they were mainly routing though AMS, with Transavia doing AMS-Italy.

Transavia is wholly owned by KL, but isn't a DL codeshare, no miles or MQM's.

Now I can't find anything on Delta.com that doesn't route through AMS.

It appears I do get a choice of Transavia and arrive at PSA in the morning, or sit around in an airport for an extra 6 to 10 hours to get on KL metal. I'm also no longer finding anything into Genoa.

They're still showing flights CDG-FLR, but I prefer not to use FLR. Dinky little airport that gets fogged in many mornings, so the outbounds that have to connect to CDG-USA have a high probability of missed connex.

Did I miss an announcement about them dropping lots of routes?

uggboy likes this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Arg. Some of the AZ flights from FCO to PSA are now operated by Darwin Airlines (Etihad Regional). It seems the big three EU skyteam partners, AZ, AF and KL, are dumping their inter Europe routes onto their non-skyteam LCC regionals. Skyteam continues to disintegrate from within.

uggboy and redtailshark like this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reduced service. Diminished benefits. Increased fares. Disintegrating alliance. You know what it is. Exactly.

On the bright side, soon it will be more cost-effective to fly into MXP in J on EK and then get a taxi to PSA.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's looking like it's all due to moves on the AZ/KL/AF side. Spinning off their inter Europe moves to non skyteam subsidiaries. Plus the AZ Eithad alliance is splitting AZ away from Skyteam.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Etihad is not pulling AZ away from SkyTeam.

And, yes, the European carriers are shifting the "local" operations to LCCs and other carriers in efforts to cut costs. Most of those do not get alliance benefits. *A has similar issues with Germanwings and the LH group.

Gargoyle and uggboy like this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The flights that used to be AZ Express, and were skyteam codeshares up to a few months ago, are now Darwin/Etihad Regional. So, imho, those were split off from SkyTeam as part of the shift to LCC and the race to the bottom.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    As opposed to simply not operating because AZ went bankrupt?

The European LCC situation, particularly as subsidiaries of the legacy carriers, is a mess. It has been for years. Blaming this change on Etihad seems a stretch to me unless you're also willing to give credit to Etihad for the good things it has done under similar parameters.

8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not blaming Etihad, just pointing out that AZ is now following the script of AF and KL, and all of them are weakening their links to Skyteam and the value of Skyteam. It also doesn't make a lot of sense, since they are all losing codeshare pax. Delta.com no longer even shows the CDG-PSA legs. They used to sell a lot of tix on that. Every flight I'd see at 10 or 12 pax connecting to or from DL TATL flights, and there were several of those segments flown each day- so, likely 50 pax a day just on that one route.

Delta.com is no longer even offering routing US-PSA via either CDG or FCO, which has often been on AF/AZ metal, so it's costing AF & AZ a lot of codeshare TATL pax. They went from offering lots of two segment routes to almost exclusively three segment ORD-AMS-FCO-PSA*, and typical pax will go with another airline/alliance rather than do three segments.

*and four segment, adding JFK, DTW or ATL to the mix

ffitalia likes this.