Delta Considers Stronger Cockpit Security

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Sep 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903374004576581201932135760.html

Senior executives at Delta Air Lines Inc. are giving serious consideration to following the lead of rival United Airlines in voluntarily installing enhanced cockpit-security barriers on certain jets, according to industry officials familiar with the airline's deliberations.

Delta hasn't made a formal decision, the industry officials said. But they added the carrier is considering installation of secondary barriers—expandable, accordion-like gates designed to provide an extra layer of security by temporarily blocking access to the front section of the cabin just outside the cockpit door.
    A Delta spokesman declined to comment.

United installed similar gates several years ago on most of the company's fleet of Boeing 757 jets. The move made the United Continental Holdings Inc. unit the only major U.S. carrier to take such a step, which it is extending to additional aircraft types.

Read More: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903374004576581201932135760.html

DeltaExpert, flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  2. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like overkill to me.

The next terrorist-wanna-be who even begins to try to get through the cockpit door is going to have to deal with a horde of extremely violent & pissed-off passengers.

USAF_Pride, flyingdawg and sobore like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    On some DL flight (and NW earlier IIRC), I've noticed FAs placing carts to block access to the FC galley and forward FC lavatory before pilots open the cockpit door. Once or twice, I also noticed a large FA standing where the cart otherwise would be, looking manacing.

bez7 and DeltaExpert like this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would probably be a good idea. When the FAs block access with the cart, it seems like ALL of them are up there like a football line. If it gets the Flight officers to the commode safely and gets the FAs in the rest of the cabin, cannot really be a bad thing.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are these things like baby gates that someone could easily vault over or is it more like a floor-to-ceiling barrier? Can someone see through the barrier?

6. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Baby gate.

7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just weld the doors shut at the start of each flight, issue diapers to the pilots.

Al Qaeda always looks for soft, simple targets, while we spend billions "fighting the previous war". The bad guys can have the same effect setting off a suicide bomb while in a long line for the TSA, or any of a thousand other simple methods.

8. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen this on most mainline flights as well as the FA then goes into the cockpit and sits there while the Pilot is up. I think is great when they do this.

bez7, Traveller and ryandc99 like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not so great when it blocks off access to the FC or BE lav(s) for a long time while various crew members chat up there.

DiverDave and DeltaExpert like this.
  10. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    The times I have seen it, I don't remember it being more than 5 minutes...

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess you don't fly enough.....

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then you haven't been on a flight where the flight crew has had Mexican the night before. Honestly, as stated above, "The System Works" because whoever gets stupid is going to get pounded by the passengers (post 9/11 mentality). Count me as one of those willing to give a pounding!! Get them down and go for all the sensitive parts: Nostrils, Eyes, Ears, Throat, Jugular. Maybe drop the drink cart on their noggin. You get the idea. :)

DeltaExpert likes this.
  13. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly.

David

14. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This happens almost every mainline flight over 2 hours where the pilots need to use the LAV or receive a meal.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  15. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my last flight I asked the FA why one of them goes into the cockpit when one pilot is in the lav. I thought she was there to stop a rouge pilot from downing the plane. She told me it's to help with an oxygen mask, etc in the case of an emergency. Good idea!

DeltaExpert, Gargoyle and jrp2 like this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes and no. You can easily see through it but it is high enough that jumping over it isn't going to be happening very often.

I agree that it is overkill and no more serious a deterrent than the cart in the galley but no one asks for my opinions on this sort of thing.

bez7 likes this.
  17. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    normal procedure is for the remaining pilot in the cockpit to put the oxygen mask on if he or she is the only one in "control" of the aircraft and alone in the cockpit regardless of the status of the aircraft. The FA serves as back up if something happens to the remaining pilot while alone in cockpit. A bad time for a heart attack or stroke at that moment.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Standard operating procedure on UA as well (the cart thing, with a little old lady behind it instead of the large menacing looking FA.... okay, just kidding about the little old lady part)

Indeed, just yesterday, two 15 min chat/bathroom/coffee breaks blocking F bathroom access on a 4 hr domestic trip. I eventually ended up heading back to the C lavs on that UA 3-cabin 767.

19. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    (posted for the sake of accuracy)

In most cases you'd be 100% correct, but mexican food can strike anytime, anyplace. According to the FARs, a solo pilot only needs to wear the mask when flying above FL250 (for most US-based aircraft referenced on this site). Stuck holding over ORD for the next hour when a bean burrito emergency hits? The remaining pilot may need oxygen...but not due to any federal regulation :confused:

See Part 121.333(c)(3) if you're curious about the details. Company policy may be more restrictive.

Gargoyle likes this.
  20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least you had a business class lavatory to choose. What if the only alternative were the lavatories in coach, with long lines?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  21. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's usually tough to see all the way to the front of the plane ;-)