Delta complimentary upgrades to Hawaii for Hawaii residents?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by alohadan, Aug 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. alohadan

alohadan Member

Status Points:
    I am UA 1K, AA Exec and BA Gold... So a pretty regular flyer... Am considering Delta status match.

But my concern is that complimentary upgrades are not offered to/from Hawaii... And I LIVE in Hawaii so this is a deal breaker for me...

Years ago, Delta had an exception to that rule for Hawaii residents, then dropped the exception, does anyone know for sure whether the exception still does not exist, or has been reinstated?

Obviously no point spending money on an airline when every flight is guaranteed steerage.

Mahalo!

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Duplicate thread. Can we merge the two?

skyvan likes this.
  3. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fly United. A 1k should get comp upgrades to/from Hawaii if they fly in the middle of the week.

4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:

Yes, two weeks ago, Shark Jr cleared as my companion on a V fare from LIH on a Tues.

ryandc99 likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you're referring to the generous NW upgrade certs that PMNW offered to elites who were Hawaiii residents. AFAIK these ended at the time of the merger, but you should check the rules on using current DL SWUs or miles for Hawaii flights as well as the rules for free elite upgrades. IIRC it's tough on the A330 ATL nonstop but possible on the west coast flights that use less attractive aircraft. Check also he rules about upgrading on flights operated by AS, which is a DL partner.

iolaire likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except when flying to/from IAH/IAD/EWR. ANd it is unclear what the policy will be when the new Islands config 777s go into service.

IDGflygirl and DiverDave like this.
  7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Posted part of this on the other thread but AS MVP Gold is really by far your best option IMHO. Unlimited space avail upgrades for you and companion. Option to Upgrade into first at time if booking if space avail and you choose higher coach fare classes. Most island non-stop service of any of the major airlines - more then DL, UA, AA, or US. No change fees on your tickets vs $200 everywhere else. Plus You only have to do 40k on AS metal to get MVP Gold. If you are heading father then just west coast though you'll have connections but you can use AS elite status on domestic DL and AA flights too for free bags, bonus miles, premium coach seats, etc. AS elites have a chance of upgrades on DL flights too though rare. Check it out.

8. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct, but the downside is that AS has small FC cabins :( and does not offer an equivalent to economy plus.

Overall, MVP is a superior program at the present time.

David

9. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was offered an upgrade on a K fare between HNL and SLC for 15,000 Delta Skymiles in March. Delta K fares between HNL and SLC are often priced at deep discounts, as are Alaska Airlines flights marketed as Delta codeshares from OAK, SJO or SAN to Hawaii. If you get to the gate early, Alaska will often sell upgrades to Hawaii to non-elites for $100 out of OAK or SJO. (First class on Alaska Airlines to Hawaii involves a small forward cabin on a 737 with waffles or macaroni served with mimosas). Overall, United probably is the better choice for elites, but there are some options with Delta if you find a good price with a K fare, would like to avoid the HNL transfer to/from the other islands or would like a west coast stopover.

10. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    SJC not SJO in the above post BTW

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

Not being snarky but you can edit your post to correct it.