DELTA CEO AFFIRMS NO VOICE CALLS DURING FLIGHT FOR CUSTOMERS

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rwoman, Dec 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    THANK YOU, DL!

dl.com news release: Delta CEO Affirms No Voice Calls During Flights for Customers
    http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=2206

:D

SomeDay, gregm, Davescj and 7 others like this.
  2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    This will stop me from wanting to shove a phone down someones throat!!

SomeDay, Davescj, vickers and 5 others like this.
  3. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Smart man. I do not want to hear others conversations. When taking sitting in boarding areas, on flight before take off, or riding Amtrak, Metro North or Long Island Rail Roads or New Jersey Transit Rail, the mobile phone conversations are the thing I dread the most.

SomeDay, Davescj, anileze and 5 others like this.
  4. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am happy with this policy, though I consider the godawful ring tones used by some to be far worse than the actual phone conversation.

Ironically, I was in the SFO SkyClub last Friday and Mr. Foghorn Voice :mad: walked in with some of his pals. And proceeded to talk loudly nonstop for the next couple of hours.

He made a couple of calls, and talked more quietly on his cell phone than he did with his pals. :rolleyes:

David

SomeDay, Flyer1976, Davescj and 4 others like this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, Delta!

SomeDay, Flyer1976, Davescj and 3 others like this.
  6. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Call Delta

SomeDay, Flyer1976, Davescj and 5 others like this.
  7. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a family member who will remain unnamed whose ringtone is the sound of a woman, um, reaching her peak is the polite way to describe it. Luckily I don't see him often and pretend not to know him when his phone rings in public.

Fill a plane full of those and I'll throw myself out the exit door mid-flight.

SomeDay, WilliamQ, Davescj and 5 others like this.
  8. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Delta!

SomeDay, Flyer1976, Davescj and 3 others like this.
  9. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good call (pun intended!) Delta!

Meantime, BA announced they're okay with calls on their flights. :rolleyes:

10. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Want to imitate a brit talking on the plane ? Just take a Virgin train and you'll get a flavor - It starts of with nuanced politeness to the recipient and then ends with gruff dockside language :D

SomeDay and Davescj like this.
  11. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few years ago, connecting at IAH for a CO flight back to YYZ, I had over an hour to wait seated in the gate area before boarding. Every available seat in that area was taken, and I was seated along the back railing by the center walkway at gate E24. I had gotten an upgrade from the friendly GA to an exit row aisle seat (15D) on the B737-500 and was sitting reading a paper when a guy stood right behind me at the railing and started yapping away loudly on his cellphone. No place to move to in the very full gate area so for over an hour I had to listen to his same BS as he called numerous people he knew, each call being identical and almost like a loud recording. Finally boarding and taking my seat, I couldn't hide my displeasure at seeing the same jerk sliding into seat 15F, with a center seat between us. Just about the time we were about to close up and push back, the captain came on the PA to announce that because the aircraft had just had a fuel pump replaced, he now had to sign reams of paperwork (literally, I saw the thick book he was signing) to accept the aircraft after the repair and we could use our cellphones on the plane until engines were started. Fifty five minutes later, and with a headache from the j#ck#ss sitting one seat over, we finally pushed back. He must have made dozens of calls in that time, all with the same "Hi, it's me. Flying up to Toronto for five days, then off to LaLa Land for another five. Blah, blah, blah.... See you there?" He finally passed out when we got airborne, so some relief finally on the three hour flight home. But as soon as the wheels touched down....!

I finally took out my phone and quietly called my wife to let her know we had landed late and I'd grab a limo home after catching up on a few ciggies outside the terminal.

And we'd have to listen to that crap, or similar, on a seven or eight hour flight or longer across the pond?

No thanks, let it be okay for emails or texting, but please, no calls on an aircraft.

SomeDay, vickers and Davescj like this.
  12. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a mercy. Can you imagine a whole plane load of people on a cell phone? It would be cruel and unusual punishment.

SomeDay, blackjack-21, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  13. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only way I would support allowing people to make cell phone calls on planes would be if other passengers were allowed to use the caller's cell phone charger to garrote them. :D

SomeDay, blackjack-21 and rwoman like this.