Delta Cancellation Fees

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by georockc, Aug 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. georockc

georockc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know where I can find details on what the cancellation fee would be for a ticket I booked on Delta. I know the change fee is $300, should I expect the same to be true of a cancellation fee?

Also, anyone know if I can cancel just the return leg of a round trip international flight? I've got a work trip butting up against a vacation.
    Thanks!

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's little chance that you would be able to refund your ticket. Changes prior to travel usually mean mean "change or cancel this flight and book something else or keep the credit (less a change fee) for later", with various other requirements such as needing to use within a year. Changes after travel commences can be less flexible.
    This would change it to a one-way ticket, and very typically increase the price. You're not going to save or get money back.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. georockc

georockc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know there's no way I'd get a refund of the ticket price. I'm just trying to determine how much of a credit I'd have.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's halfway through an international trip, almost certainly none (and you're possibly better off just "missing the plane"). If it's prior to departure, probably the ticket price less the change fee.

5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you cannot change the work flight, how about postponing the return flight instead

Work:
    A>B>A
    Vacation:
    B>C>B

i.e. A>B>C>B>A

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the OP contacts Delta before the return flight and indicates that they are not going to make it and want to change it they should get that half of the ticket credit, less the change fee. Rebooking it prior to the initial departure would trigger a full reprice.

The only thing I'm not sure on is if the residual must be for the same route or if it could be applied to a wholly different future itinerary. Also, if you're completely stuck, hope for a weather waiver and call it in last-minute.