Delta Buys 7 More MD-90s

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by flyingdawg, Apr 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    jrp2, HaveMilesWillTravel and uggboy like this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    The process of getting them back to the states should be interesting to follow !

DTWBOB

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a non-ETOPS route for this (no passengers, obviously)? Does ETOPS matter with no passengers?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

4. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I seem to recall seeing a flightaware path of a Dash-8 fly from Hawaii to the California... I asked someone more knowledgeable than I, and apparently you can remove the seats and toss an extra fuel tank or two into the body and the range goes way up (even for a turboprop). So this should be no problem for an MD-90 (NRT-ANC is only .

I'm guessing there's a different set of rules for flying planes without passengers so ETOPS may not apply - plus if they're stripped of seats as well, then they're going to be way under weight and have a longer range, even on one engine.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember reading about the process of ferrying some smaller planes overseas, IIRC perhaps to Turkey and they may have been CRJs of some sort. Fuel tanks were added. However, my impression is that this was an issue of the range versus distances between appropriate airports along a reasonable route, not an ETOPS issue.

6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When were the MD90s manufactured? I read the article and don't see anything about how old they are.

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen photos (I think here on mp) of supplemental fuel tanks being added in the cabin near the wing on some Hawaiian 717s. There's no spot to stop, and not enough range on those puppies, even w/o pax or seats, to make it to Hawaii from the mainland.

Getting rjs over to europe is pretty easy...Halifax to KEF works for many rjs. Greenland is an available stopover too.

Going from us to Asia is interesting. I don't know how friendly eastern Russia is for fuel stops. Is there an airport in the western alutians that could handle an md90? Otherwise, can they make it to ANC or jnu from northern Japan?

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    theres a pathway for getting ferry permits from the faa that allow you to go 10% over mgtow in fuel weight. that plus some ferry tanks can get you pretty far...

eta

etops is a far 121 regulation. iirc with no passengers onboard you can operate under far 91 which is far less restrictive...

yaychemistry likes this.