Delta Business Elite JFK-LHR

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Cathy S, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Cathy S

Cathy S Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone tried the Business Class service from JFK-LHR? I love Virgin Upper Class (the best) and BA Club. Does the Delta service compare? What about Delta lounges at JFK and LHR? The Virgin Lounge at LHR is spectacular. I can't imagine Delta comes close.

2. I found the DL lounge at LHR to be quite nice. Not as large as the Virgin Lounge but lovely all the same. Of course it is in T4.

3. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not flown VS, but have flown both BA and DL a fair bit.

Seat - Personally, I probably prefer the seat on BA, but not by that much, and my wife prefers the DL seat. I'd say the seats are a wash.

Lounges - BA wins here. The SkyTeam lounge at LHR is nice, but I think the BA lounge is better. The BA lounge at JFK is better than DL's.

Service - At its best, I think that DL has better service in the air, but I think the average level of service is pretty similar. DL ground staff at JFK have a bad reputation, but I've never had too many problems.

Food - DL is better, IMO, though I wish they would update the menu more frequently. Alternatively, they could just serve the crab cakes more frequently.

Wine/Booze - DL probably edges BA here for me, as I like Woodford Reserve. They also tend to offer an American Pinot (they had Paul Hobbs for a while, which is better than anything you will see in Club World, and kind of insane for business class on any carrier). In general, DL's wines are a notch or two higher on the price & quality scale than what BA serves, which tend to be of the supermarket variety.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL's champagne won a prize for best wines in business class.

At JFK, the Oasis lounge in T4 that DL uses is very good. The SCs in T2 and T3 are ordinary domestic lounges, nothing terribly special, although at least one seems to have been renovated fairly recently. The experience depends a lot on how crowded the lounge is when you visit.

5. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's my take on DL vs BA vs VS on JFK-LHR:

Lounges (JFK):
    1. VS
    2. BA
    3. DL

Lounges (LHR):
    1. VS (by a mile, huge number of food options, various entertainment offers, etc.)
    2. DL (best DL/Skyteam lounge out there)
    3. BA (though BA First lounge is better than Skyteam naturally)

Seats:
    1. DL (just slightly better than BA, see below)
    2. BA
    3. VS
    Here, DL wins on direct aisle access, privacy of the single seat, and ample console space; BA wins on a slightly wider seat/bed, privacy dividers, but loses on rear-facing seats, 4 seats in the middle on the 744 and 777s, and need to cross over someone's legs to access aisle from window. VS's herringbone seats not good for couples traveling together (same issue as DL's 777 seats), and do not offer much of an "in-between" reclining option (i.e., seat has to be turned either into a bed, or be up for seating with some recline).

Food (Quantity):
    1. DL (what else do you expect from an American airline)? LOL!
    2. VS
    3. BA

Food (Quality):
    Difficult to rank. DL is the best when certain menu items are available (e.g., this month's crab cakes or beef tenderloin/shrimp scampi), BA's is really quite mediocre with an occasional good entree, while VS's, IMO is uniformly not up to standard (though thankfully you can fill yourself up in the VS lounge which has fantastic offerings, particularly in their LHR lounge)

In-Flight Entertainment:
    1. VS (options, quality, lots of independent offerings)
    2. DL and BA tie
    DL's 767s to LHR offer a limited number of movies (only 25-30, compared to over 200 on the 777s), though they make up for it with HBO, and a huge selection of music. BA has a wider selection of films, though their music selection is weaker.

Gargoyle and MSPeconomist like this.
  6. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the sole determinant for me since I have been on record on these forums that for me premium travel is "all about the seats" and all the rest (IFE, food, lounges, etc.) are of very little, if any, importance. The new DL seats on the 777s are extremely comfortable and properly adjustable to suit this back sleeper or to partially recline and read or just relax. The VS seats are "all or nothing" and I find neither position especially suitable. I have not flown BA Club but have taken numerous trips on the two mentioned.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does DL fly the 777-LR to LHR? I thought it was mostly 767-400s or maybe the reconfigured 767s. The 777-LR indeed has wonderful seats, but they're different from the 767-400 new seats, which are the staggered ones, not herringbone.

8. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, DL only flies 767-400ERs to LHR currently (later in the summer, BOS-LHR will get flat-bed 763ERs).
    I actually prefer the 764ER flat bed seats to the 77L seats as the former are longer (in bed length) and forward-facing

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have flown the 777-LR to SYD and the 767-400 to LHR a number of times. To me, the seat comfort on both were about equal although the layout of the seats was completely different. If pushed, I would prefer the 400 but the margin is very small.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think it would depend on whether one were travelling alone. The 777-LR is wonderful for single travellers, but there's no good solution for couples (or groups). On the 767-400, the center section could work pretty well for a couple, although there's a pretty big and fortified "arm rest" in between you.

11. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is true that the middle two seats on the 400 are more suitable for couples but even when there are the two of us, she absolutely insists on sitting window so I am always one row behind For that purpose, the available center is of no importance to me.

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like that you obey she who must be obeyed.;)

13. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do miss Rumpole but do always get an extra twinge of nostalgia when Franny has her coffee in the "She Who Must Be Obeyed" mug that I bought for her from PBT when they were rerunning the series.