Delta Business Elite Awards LAX to Europe

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by ods, Feb 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ods

ods New Member

Status Points:
    New to the forum so forgive me if this isn't in the right place.

I'm looking to use Skymiles to get 2 Business Elite or First seats to Europe from LAX. I'm not very flexible on dates (August 2014), but very flexible on the destination in Europe. My goal is a direct flight from LAX to Europe, either FCO, CDG, AMS even possibly LHR or Moscow on Aeroflot. I'm trying to avoid the first leg in the US to get from LAX to ATL, MSP, DTW, SLC, etc. and want to get to Europe in one long haul.

If you've read this far then I'll get to the real point, can I use Skymiles on AF, KLM, Alitalia operated non-stop flights from LAX for Business/First Awards if they don't show up on DL's website?

MSYgirl likes this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)

You posted about Delta in the Delta forum, so I'd say you're ahead of the curve. ;)

WilliamQ and MX like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe.

You can definitely use the SkyMiles for flights operated by AZ, AF, KL and other partners. The catch is that the award seats must be available and that isn't always the case. The DL website isn't great for award searches so calling in might get you a bit more data but finding two seats in business class during high season on the longer routes is likely to be a challenge under any circumstances.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a reason to avoid gateway cities in the US ? I agree with Wandering Aramean; calling the tollfree number is the best. If you get a clueful person, they can do wonders, like calling Revenue Protection Mafia and get a seat released at times :)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This would only likely work on DL-operated flights and even then would be quite rare. Elite status would likely come in to play as part of the decision whether to even try or not, much less whether the request is granted.

LETTERBOY and anileze like this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. Getting BizElite award, normally is easier by calling DL. I was made to believe that the partner airlines release limited inventory to DL, and vice-verse.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is so rare and would only happen for people who are very HVCs as well as DMs. Since the OP doesn't indicate any status with DL, I suspect that asking an agent to do this would result in laughter.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but it's easier if you can find availability first and know something about your options. Some partner flights appear in delta.dumb award searches but are not reflected in the award calendar. Services like EF claim to publish inventory that's available for partner redemptions. At the very least, if award inventory in low or classic isn't available to the airline's own FF program participants, you can be sure that it won't be there for DL miles.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct. And calling DL is unlikely t make more AF/KL/AZ inventory show up as DL doesn't have control over those systems/inventory.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. ods

ods New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. Looks like calling in is the way to go. I'm DL Platinum so that might help a little. Anyone have better service calling the Platinum line versus the normal line?

Flew the fiance to Australia with me for only 150,000 round trip business class, what an amazing deal. I almost don't want to type it here for chance DL will remove this steal of a deal. Got about 600K miles left so that won't be the problem here, just the availability of seats.

This time it's for our honeymoon so even more of a need to get us some comfort and high class.

Thanks again, open to all ideas and options. Final destination will be Croatia, but we're going to stop over on the way there and back thus the flexibility of the stopover city.