Delta Boarding Pass security issues...

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Switch2, Dec 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A relatively minor issue considering how many people just drop BPs in the trash or leave them on seats anyways. The claims that one could forge a mobile BP and get through security with it probably didn't consider the reality which is that the mobile BPs are digitally signed by the airlines so rather harder to forge than is suggested.

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if they weren't digitally signed...could forge them many other ways. Or just buy a refundable ticket.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Refundable ticket means your name goes through the airline and TSA databases. Outright forged, not so much.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do gate passes (e.g., to access the UC) go through the airline/TSA database?

6. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Several of my mobile BPs aren't signed. All of my BA shorthaul ones aren't. If you stand behind the TSA scanner you'll see it say something like "boarding pass not signed/verified, manual check required" or something like that.

7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's pretty trivial to change the name (and barcode) on a boarding pass. I don't think the TSA actually looks up the PNR in the airline database -- on a good day they just check the name on the BP matches the name on your ID. Or am I wrong?

8. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe the TSA does do an online lookup. Not that it matters as long as you get security screened. Obviously there's an online lookup at the gate.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You are correct that the TSA scanner only checks to ensure that the data in the barcode matches the data on the ID. It does not check against active PNRs from the airlines.

10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it's an easy way (for those technically competent) to change the name on a ticket. Joe Blow buys a non-refundable ticket. Can't travel. Gives it to his brother John. BP gets altered to say John. John goes through TSA screening, name on BP and ID match, TSA is happy. When boarding the plane the original BP which says Joe gets used. Name on BP and PNR match, airline is happy.

Of course there likely are more nefarious scenarios as well, but it's been a hole for ages.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why does the Mashable article show a United boarding pass? Could they really not find a stock photo of a Delta BP?

Flyer1976 likes this.