Delta backpedals on MR point annual transfer limits

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by bigx0, Dec 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    WilliamQ and gleff like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The transfer limit will not apply to any Delta partners, it turns out.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I had to speculate about the reason for this reversal, I would say that AMEX balked at DL's attempt to limit MR member benefits like they have SkyMiles members' -- one more reason why AMEX and MR are ranked #1 in customer satisfaction.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    As speculated, AMEX quite likely bitch slapped DL for attempting to disenfranchise MR members. It was important enough that AMEX wanted to let members know, from very high up, that they are protected:

upload_2014-12-12_8-37-19.png

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did DL backtrack because they got more money from AMEX or did AMEX bitch slap them into backtracking as a precondition for the new contract? I think it is the latter because of DL's now legendary hubris...;)

That AMEX spends tons of money purchasing SkyMiles is old news. Despite this and as part of their crusade to limit the number of free trips that they give, DL tried to put a limit on the number of MR points that could be transferred to SM. Their message to AMEX was essentially this: "You can purchase hordes of SkyMiles from us but we are going to tell you how many of those miles can be used by MR members to redeem flights with us." Miles that cannot be used when one needs them lose their value and AMEX clearly understood DL's con job. The devaluation was equivalent to the limit placed by DL on the number of MR points that could be transferred to SM. Seen from this light, AMEX did truly look after the interest of its MR members ( and their own).

NB. Just read the letter from the President of AMEX OPEN I just posted above. The truly exuberant tone suggests a major triumph. DL did not give up easily...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  7. bigeyejim

bigeyejim Active Member

Status Points:
    I got the email as well. One thought that I had was maybe AMEX had to do something major to keep their programme alive. After AA and United walked away, the number of partners that one can transfer to has dwindled. No more free access to any of their lounges, etc...the list goes on. I have used points quite often to drag the family on adventures, and United was always the easiest, oh, and Southwest, but now no transfer...Their partners are getting fewer and far between, so maybe AMEX had to beg Delta. Either way, I'm glad.

I used to carry the Diner's Club card, as a corporate card, and then when it changed hands, I was locked out of their program because I was no longer a corporate guy, I was a small business guy. Now they are offering it up again, and I see that they have lots of partners.

Kind of hard when you only have 1 or 2 major US based airlines to pick from.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You must be talking about years back because UA has not partnered with AMEX for quite some time now. Continental did but the partnership with AMEX ended as soon as they merged with UA.

I do not think that AMEX had to coax DL into staying in the partnership. For it to have lasted this long and for AMEX to invest as much as they apparently just have, the partnership must be lucrative for both sides.

DL just tried to pull a fast one on AMEX when they tried to limit the number of MR points that could be transferred to SkyMiles and got caught. Just read the letter from the AMEX OPEN President. She sounds truly giddy, victorious, which means that DL gave in after a tough fight...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  9. bigeyejim

bigeyejim Active Member

Status Points:
    Yep, you're right! It slipped my mind about the merger, as the last award tickets I had was printed as Continental (on a Continental route) in June of 2012. I don't think I transferred at that time to Continental, but I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Oh well!