Delta Assist = tremendous

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by thrashsoundly, Apr 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently discovered the ads for Delta Assist through FB and thought it may be a neat option for some help. I'm more of a twitter guy, so I decided to opt for @deltaassist help instead.

I'm 6' 8" and travel is sometimes downright unpleasant due to my size. I'm not a Medallion member, so I never have access to preferred seats when I book. Usually I'll call in to Delta to try and get some help with exit row seats and the like until I get the customer service rep that is willing to help me out. Depending on the itinerary, sometimes it takes many calls to finally get the help I need. On occasion I end up having to stress out and wait until check-in to get a seat with extra legroom. I hate it, but it is life. Fortunately I'm not large around too, so I don't crowd anyone on a plane, but I can't help how long my legs are.

I decided to try out @deltaassist for helping me get a better seat for my needs. Within minutes on the first try, I had exit row seats booked for me and my wife outbound and return. There was no hassle, no begging, no stress - it was so easy. Delta assist is a great tool and I highly recommend trying it out.

NewGamePlus likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, but IMO when the rules say that only elites can pre-reserve the exit row seats, DL agents (phone or @deltaassist) should follow the rules. This is supposed to be a benefit of holding elite status.

3. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good from a singular customer/one off point off situation. But bad for for elites, who rely and are held to the published benefits. Airlines can't have it both ways. Why have published benefits, if the airlines are going to break them? Not to mention both thrashsoundly and his wife we moved.

I'm glad someone was able to be accommodated, but what is an elite really needs and is entitled to that seat? This is a catch 22 situation and IMHO opens a can of worms.

4. NewGamePlus
    Original Member

NewGamePlus Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a guy standing nearly 6'7" myself, I sympathize with the OP. I also understand that Medallion members are entitled to better service, and have earned it.

Nonetheless, I think the fact that a company like Delta is effectively leveraging the power of social media to provide customer service is commendable, and should be strongly encouraged. I'm impressed by the turn around time and results the OP saw.

5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    However, where is the line drawn? This is why I have mixed feelings on this particular situation. If I'm an elite and cannot move into this row because someone who isn't entitled is placed there, what the point of my loyalty? If this non elite person has a great experience, will this good will gesture motivate them to obtain elite status?

Right now my gauge leans a little toward the elite members who have spent time with their butts in a seat, earned status, which entitles them to the published benefits. Now with one transaction a Delta rep, changes the rules. Are we elites allowed to do that? NO! This needs to be addressed. I'm not trying to be an ass, but if the facebook/twitter delta reps are going to act as rouge (I couldn't think of a better word, based on the circumstances) agent, then someone needs to say something NOW before we see a pattern and it adversely affects the elites.

NewGamePlus likes this.
  6. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they'll get me that coveted and hard to get Z upgrade to keep me happy...

7. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a 6'6 DL PM, this is sad to see DL giving away the preferred seats to those without status. I had to put my time in to get my status in order to guarentee these seats, and everyone else should too. Yes it sucks to get stuck in non exit row when you are tall, but that is why you earn status.

DeltaExpert and MSPeconomist like this.
  8. NewGamePlus
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Lot more outrage and indignation than I would have expected to see on this. As it happens, I agree with those that feel that those seats should be given to elites.

However, again, the bigger triumph here for me is legitimate customer service through a social channel. Probably not relevant to many MP members given the demographics, but I think it's a good thing that major carriers are embracing the channel.

I don't feel the OP should have gotten the seat, but you know what, I'm glad he did.

Enjoy the flight brother.

9. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree! Can I get an AMEN?!!

ryandc99 likes this.
  10. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Outrage? Indignation? As I said, I'm torn. I dont think anyone has been rude or nasty in general or to the OP.

I think the discussion has been great and we've gotten good discussion and talking points on both sides of the aisle, no pun intended.

Delta's rep has done something outside the published benefits. Obviously, people will not be happy with this. The question is will it continue to happen and how will it affect elites? Just as we have to be accountable and follow the published benefits, we need to ensure Delta does the same.

If this was something different, you better believe Delta would stick to the written published benefits.

ryandc99 and NewGamePlus like this.
  11. NewGamePlus
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough, stronger words than necessary on my part. I just feel like the OP's parade is getting rained on. It was a victory for him, regardless of posted rules and guidelines. I'm sure he doesn't need me defending him though.

Surely this isn't the first time MP members have heard of Delta (or any airline) agent providing one-off service benefits for non-medallion members? Being a bit of a genetic outlier myself, I know I've been given the exit row plenty of times, on plenty of airlines, after asking politely on the phone, at the desk or to the attendant. I wouldn't begrudge anyone that, elite or no.

12. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good for the OP, bad for elites. I guess it is an option we all will start using when we can't get the seats we want.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's very different to give an open exit row seat to a tall person at the airport.

We're talking about a seat that can only be reserved in advance on the computer by elites. Apparently a DL agent overrode this restriction well in advance of the flight, when we can assume that it would have been likely for elites to still be purchasing tickets and reserving seats.

Moreover, the DL agent had no way of verifying that the passenger was as tall as he claimed to be.

KENNECTED and ryandc99 like this.
  14. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course this will all be a non-issue once DL does their famous equipment change causing all seats to be reassigned. (or it will turn into "DL took my exit row away from me" thread)

15. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way. When I have to fly UA I am happy to pay the fee for Economy Plus, or even on a flight on WN, I will buy Business Select to hope to get an exit row.

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think most of us are in agreement here, although I don't think the guy who introduced the topic would necessarily agree with us that elite status should have its privileges respected and not just given to other for the asking.

Of course, there was a time when PMNW and IIRC briefly DL during the merger were willing to sell the good seats to nonelites.

ryandc99 likes this.
  17. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before I was elite, there was a loop hole of some kind that allowed you to take exit row seats once checkin opened at T-24. I would then always check in 24 hrs on the dot to hopefully get an exit row. Luckily now that I am elite they have fixed that and I believe they are held until Gate Control.

18. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should have paid for the exit row. You admitted you call till you get the answer you like to something you are not entiled to. Why not pay for first or exit row so you can guarantee the extra space you feel entitled to without elite status to boot.

flagstaff likes this.
  19. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I completely agree with this post. While I definitely sympathize with the OP and know it definitely makes his travel experience better, what's to keep countless other people from claiming to be tall or who know what other things they would make up to get better seats?

20. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I empathize with everyone's frustration. Sorry to rub people the wrong way as this wasn't my intent.

I guess the point of my post was to illustrate my customer service success through a social media portal, which is quite new, and from what I see unique to Delta at this point. I'm ecstatic that Delta is trying to reach out to customers in new and savvy way. It can create a better experience for many travelers.

To clarify - I don't feel entitled to any seats and am extremely gracious if and when I can get a better seat to fit in. Even though I may ask frequently, I never demand to be accommodated and never ask to preempt elite seating selections. I merely ask, "Is there any way I can find a seat with a little more legroom since I am so tall?" Sometimes I get helped, sometimes I don't and have to wait it out until check-in like everyone else. I've been extremely lucky at times, but I've also flown uncomfortably plenty - including on long-haul flights. This itinerary in particular was quite empty, and I'm sure the elites will be moved up to F.

I'm not "fortunate" to fly frequently enough to qualify for elite status, although that may change in the future. If there were an option on Delta like on other carriers to pay a little more to get extra legroom I most certainly would. Most of my travel in the last few years has been for business, and hell, I'd be lucky if they shelled out more money for me to fly comfortably in F, but that never happened.

NewGamePlus likes this.
  21. NewGamePlus
    Original Member

Status Points:
  22. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    What? You pay for business select on WN? We need to talk!

23. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I am forced to fly WN, I pay for business select. You think you will find me in a non exit row! HELL NO!

DeltaExpert likes this.
  24. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just check in at T-24.....

25. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That doesn't guarantee an exit row.. the Business Select fares get the first boarding group followed by the A-List, then the people who pay to have it auto check in after that... Plus sometimes T-24 isn't always the most convienant time either.

DeltaExpert likes this.