Delta approved for new route from Seattle to Tokyo-Haneda

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Feb 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/02/05/delta-approved-for-new-route-from.html

The U.S. Department of Transportation on Tuesday gave its final OK for Delta Air Lines Inc. to offer new nonstop service between Seattle and Tokyo International Airport (Haneda).

The new flights will begin on June 1, Atlanta-based Delta said. They will complement Delta’s (NYSE: DAL) nonstop flight between Seattle and Tokyo-Narita, which will be expanded and upgraded to Boeing 747-400 service on June 1.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/02/05/delta-approved-for-new-route-from.html

Flyer1976 and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's great news! :)

3. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is way too much capacity between Seattle and Japan now, IMO. Can the market really support five flights per day?

4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not just O and D out of SEA. Lots of connecting traffic. Plus less fuel and shorter flight time.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Catering to the engineers that fly back between Boeing and their battery supplier in Japan to sort out the smoking battery problem? ;)

akcae, Flyer1976 and DiverDave like this.
  6. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    On AS?

And there are UA and NH flights that can't make use of that.

7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta is also increasing service to SEA, look at their recently added Connection service LAX-SEA.

Also this flight will be operated with a 767 with flat beds. IIRC this will be the only flat bed product operating US to Haneda.

8. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    SEA is the connecting point for most of the PACNW and even YVR (which draws as much as 1/5 of Canada's population) to TYO as a Skyteam flyer.

AS is draining all of WA, ID, MT, AK plus some of BC, AB, OR, nor CA, and NV. No one else even comes close feeding from most of these states as does AS and the only other PACNW Skyteam option to TYO is PDX which doesn't compare in amount of feeder traffic. Plus DL runs a lot of connecting traffic to the rest of Asia through TYO via SEA though KE and MU offer alternatives to the rest of Asia.

Compare expansion of all types of DL service at SEA to what they are doing in most of the US - reducing service frequency or killing routes. SEA appears to be a profitable focus city for them. Station mgr has said this to me in the past and corporately they wouldn't expand here otherwise. I'd speculate that AS keep market prices high without much competition as well as that neither the majors nor the LCCs have near the regional coverage. Plus DL has good corp feed with MSFT (which has a dedicated DL checkin area), Amazon, SBux, Boeing, etc. Those companies and supporting businesses feed tens of thousands of regular biz travelers into the market.

My .02 but it is slanted since I live here. :)

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has the schedule for the new HND service been announced yet? Will it complement or duplicate the LAX flight times?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://airlineroute.net/2013/02/06/dl-seahnd-jun13/

DL581 SEA2110 – 2330+1HND 767 D
    DL580 HND0130 – 1840-1SEA 767 D

I think that's basically duplicating times, at least on the TYO end, right? I think there's an issue that Japan will only grant US carriers abysmal times at HND but that they're supposed to be releasing a few slots at better times.

Flyer1976 and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    They only allow long-haul departures after midnight, and long-haul arrivals have to be between 10 PM and 7 AM (when NRT is closed). Same rule applies to JAL and ANA. These restrictions are supposed to be eased in a couple of years.

And even with the obvious local corporate demand, I am still surprised by how quickly SEA has gone from having two daily flights to Japan to having five.

skyvan and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whatever their cause, until they are eased, I won't be flying into HND from the US. Good lord, those flight times are absolutely horrid. I'll stick to NRT.

13. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flight times between the US and Japan basically suck no matter which airport you use. With HND, I could get a full day of work done in Tokyo, have dinner at home, put the baby to sleep, then leave for the airport. Then arrive in the US in the evening (as opposed to in the morning or around lunchtime), check into a hotel and sleep off the travel fatigue. Very appealing. Similar story coming back, though HND flights leave the US around dinnertime, but still late enough to get a lot done during the day.

akcae likes this.