Delta and Canadian carrier WestJet announce codeshare deal

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Jan 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.examiner.com/airlines-ai...adian-carrier-westjet-announce-codeshare-deal

An expanded relationship between Delta Air Lines, the largest carrier at the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport, and WestJet, a rapidly growing Canadian airline, is great news for travelers heading north of the border. The two carriers announced a codeshare deal earlier this week that will put the DL code on more than 15 WestJet flights. In return, WestJet passengers will find the codeshare added in five markets to the U.S., allowing easy, seamless southbound travel.

Read More: http://www.examiner.com/airlines-ai...adian-carrier-westjet-announce-codeshare-deal

milchap likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is WestJet a sort of budget carrier? Didn't they almost go out of business a while ago?

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are a low cost carrier. 8,000 - 10,000 employees. Primarily operating the 737. I do not recall them coming close to going out of business, but it's possible as many airlines have been down that path over the last few years.

4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are Canada's 2nd largest carrier (approx 36% of the passenger traffic). Patterned after SW (they use 737s), they have a had a very good profit track record. They recently announced that they will begin a 'regional' carrier using props (ATRs or DH8s) for smaller markets to wrestle the #1 spot away from Air Canada.

The earning of miles from the other airline is a new and certainly should benefit both airlines as they have poor market penetration in each other's country relative to AC and *.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like southwest? No assigned seats, no premium cabin, no lounges, no elite lines for check in and security? I think I will definitely avoid them.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure about assigned seating, but WS is considering introducing premium seats, which are likely to be more legroom.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    E- versus E+? I think I'll still plan to avoid them.

LETTERBOY and rwoman like this.
  8. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any news whether these code shares will earn 100% MQMs?