Delta and Alaska war escalates - DL double mqm match and new DL service from sea to pdx and san

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by ballardFlyer, Nov 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got this from Delta:

Great news—we've added three more routes and double Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to this offer. You can earn unlimited double bonus miles and double MQMs when flying between Seattle (SEA) and Anchorage (ANC), Las Vegas (LAS), Los Angeles (LAX), Portland (PDX), San Diego (SAN), or San Francisco (SFO). First register, then book by December 31, 2013, and fly by October 31, 2014. The more you fly, the more you earn—and the closer you'll be to your next Award Ticket.

And terms seem to say no AS flights count

Bonus Offer: Book by December 31, 2013, then fly on Delta or Delta Connection-marketed and -operated flights to or from Seattle/SEA and the following cities: Anchorage/ANC, Las Vegas/LAS, Los Angeles/LAX, Portland, OR/PDX, San Diego/SAN, San Francisco/SFO between October 18, 2013, and October 31, 2014, and earn double bonus miles and Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) on all flight segments purchased with a published fare that earns full mileage accrual. There is no limit to the bonus miles that can be earned within the qualification period. Travel may originate or terminate in any city; however, bonus miles and MQMs will only be earned based on travel flown on Delta-operated flights to or from Seattle/SEA and the eligible cities listed. Codeshare flights operated by carriers other than Delta or Delta Connection are excluded from this offer.

Which would mean they are adding DL Cxn service from SEA to SAN and PDX now too. And adding more ANC service.

This will be ugly. Will AS match these other markets?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sounds great for those targets Delta customers who can book these flights! When the airlines compete, the customers win!

3. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will be interesting to see how (if at all) AS responds to the most recent Delta salvo.

Delta's strategy appears to be "lock up future flights" now via the double miles promotion (by requiring the purchase before 12/31/13 for flights through October of 2014. I'm not sure how many travelers know where they'll be flying over that period of time this far in advance.

I sense a divorce coming.

4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonder if DL might expand to Hawaii markets or at least HNL out of SEA too? Or SEA-SLC, MSP and ATL flights too since AS flies to all of them as well.

Newscience likes this.
  5. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought DL flies SEA-HNL?

DL keeping at it and expanding on AS territory. Mostly to have their TPAC customers on their metal the whole trip it seems. I am sure DL prefers to keep 100% of the revenue of a customer flying PDX-SEA-PEK.

Newscience likes this.
  6. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    They do. I was saying maybe they will add double MQM to that route too as another salvo? Just my guess.

I'm sure all DL metal is way better for them too - completely agree.

Newscience, Golfingboy and anileze like this.
  7. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They could. Doubtful, but never say never.

Newscience likes this.
  8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS's match is better (you can buy up through the end of the promo). And it's making me very happy- stacked the 1-2-3 promo and the double EQM promo, so it will boost me back to MVPG and re-inflate the balance I burned on CX F... ;)

9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta fires another SEA salvo per AirlineRoute on Twitter:

DELTA intends to start Seattle - San Jose/Los Cabos weekly service with 737-800 from 20DEC14