DELTA: Airline Already Collecting the Most Passenger Fees Wants $1 Billion More of Them Annually

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by uggboy, Jun 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airline Already Collecting the Most Passenger Fees Wants $1 Billion More of Them Annually:eek:

SOURCE: http://moneyland.time.com/2012/06/0...1-billion-more-in-fees-annually/?iid=tsmodule

What is DELTA up to??:confused:

mrredskin likes this.
  2. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just noticed the key leader on this one is mr. Glen "The Ham" Sandwich... I guess he did not have his lunch.:mad:

uggboy likes this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they're trying to make money.

mattsteg and uggboy like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Imagine that.

Reviewing recent developments at Delta, you can get a decent feel for where they are looking to generate fee income. A lot of it is in providing new, desirable services. Some is in monetizing what is currently free. There's both good and bad from the customer perspective.

Delta collects a lot of fees, but they also are the only legacy left passing out free snacks in domestic coach. Free beer/wine internationally was more generous than the competition as well - not sure the current status.

I enjoy a nice Scotch at the skyclub from time to time. I like economy comfort, if I'm not up front. I like having WiFi (with free milepoint!) on every 2-class domestic plane. I like IFE offerings. All of these generate fee income, and all are positive. While there are certainly negatives as well, fees are not automatically customer-hostile developments.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very true.

In fact, in the medium-term future, I can see using DL (a little) more as a result of the increasing fees/swingeing SM devaluations.

This is because, once SM is devalued in the forthcoming Ivan-I style, it will be much harder for almost everyone to attain status. If thresholds are maintained, there will be a large cull of faux-Medallions. The lowing from the herd of GM/PM AX holders will be the loudest event since the mass megafauna extinctions of the late Pleistocene epoch.

But then.... those with "lifetime" MM/2MM status might then find it actually means something a little more than it does now. Ha! I might actually get an exit row, as well as one free check bag, when I am compelled to use DL. This would mean that DL could compete hard for my table-scrap business, you know, when their service is considered vs. NK and so on.