Delta Air Lines Reduces Mileage Earning Rates on Unpublished Airfares

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Canarsie, Aug 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta Air Lines will reduce the mileage earning rates of unpublished airfares effective as of September 1, 2012. However, this new policy will not affect tickets purchased at www.delta.com, through corporate bookings or at Internet web sites such as www.orbitz.com, www.expedia.com or www.travelocity.com, so this should not affect the majority of milepoint.com members.

Here is the chart posted by Delta Air Lines:
    Delta Unpublished Fares Chart.png

Additional information may be found here.

2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting that here! Let's hope this is not an indication of what's to come with all tickets though.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Face reality. The indications of what's to come have been broadcast for years. Why does any experienced DL flyer hope for the best when they can use their knowledge and recent SM history to guide their decisionmaking? Recent highlights include:

Doubling of intra-Asia award mileage with no notice
    T-72 award moratorium for ALL SM members...with no notice, although it was leaked very shortly prior to implementation
    E-class tickets
    The ongoing award calendar
    635k SM from PHL to FCO, not all of which was in J (showing the contempt DL SM management have for their own supposed THREE-TIER redemption framework)
    Continual "lack of knowledge" "lack of training" and other excuses for agents telling customers "CZ is not an SM partner" "SM cannot be used on AZ" etc.
    Halving of value of AmEx gift cards

And much more. I don't even follow the SM program changes now and I know all this, so you who are embedded in SM Medallion status will know much more.

Fool me once..
    Fool me twice..
    Fool me three, four, five times... what to say?

There may be reasons to fly DL. But SM is not one of them. It's already best in class. You know what the future brings. It's only a question of when.

By contrast, I'm happy with DL.

Now I only ever fly DL in J - with the added collateral that SM status has no use or value. In J, we're all the same, lounge access, plenty of bags etc. I never fly DL for MR or other reasons. If in Y, it would be because they outbid the LCC's for travel. Credit DL flights to AS (good idea to those who suggested it).

This might be gratifying to Jeff...except of course that my net spend on their travel product has cratered because I'm only ever flying misfiles, I've cxld my DL SM Plat AmEx and won't be incentivized to get another because of the worthlessness of SM and so on.

Ironically, I am now happier with their service... and much less profitable to them.

I laugh from the sidelines most of the time...or in the BE cabins when the oppo presents itself. As it just did. in a huge way.

Who cares what they do to SM?

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    before anyone panics, nothing's changed (yet?) for tickets purchased through Delta...

"Tickets purchased directly through Delta are considered “published fares” and receive full mileage credit based on the SkyMiles program rules."

As AEN, said -- what me worry?

DTWBOB

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably will affect packages booked through most third-party sites, though, as that's how most unpublished fares are booked. That and group bookings.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the info. Only makes me happier that I switched to American

7. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't say I'm surprised they're doing this. But, what really bugs me is, yet again they have not communicated the changes to the general membership of Skymiles. It makes me suspect that there are more changes on the horizon. And, that they are just slowly implimenting them before sending out one email containing all the new 'enhancements' (read: bad news).

flyingdawg likes this.
  8. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    So... where are people booking these unpublished fares?

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cruise packages. Vacation packages. Consolidators. Wandering Aramean has some details on his blog.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. Elizabeth Smith
    Original Member

Elizabeth Smith Active Member

Status Points:
    I received an e-mail about this policy change yesterday. The e-mail said said that I had recently purchased a special or unpublished fare. I reviewed my travel receipts for the past three years. There were only two times I purchased a Delta ticket elsewhere and they were from Delta Vacations, which is supposed to be exempt from the new policy. Buyer beware. I don't think I should have been targeted to receive this e-mail, but I am glad I did so I can pay more attention.

11. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received the e-mail as well. I also had a total of two itineraries not booked through DL.com. One was DL Vacations but the other was a "free" trip to LAS thanks to the Expedia.CA promotion that required bundling with a hotel.

12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also received the email. One booking on expedia of a mistake fare to warsaw, otherwise through my work ta or dl.com.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you should question the business TA about what fares are being used under what circumstances. An unpublished fare could be an unpleasant surprise if you need to change a ticket.

14. highflyer2

highflyer2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just tried to book through Delta.com and final screen indicated the reduced mileage earnings...had I chosen to book it. Looks like I'll be booking elsewhere....so much for my loyalty, after 25+ years.

15. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    See

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/prepare-to-get-slammed.44931/

Whether this is accurate is very much tbd...

Bob H

16. highflyer2

highflyer2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    DiverDave likes this.
  17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I didn't know consolidator fares earned anything, so to my level of awareness this is actually an increase in the earning of those tix. :p