Delta Air Lines Lets Passengers Track Luggage via the Internet

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, May 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/10/idUS147015878620110510

Delta aircraft lined up at Atlanta. You know where your bag is?

Delta Air Lines has been making the headlines this last week for kicked off passengers, bomb threats, and job cuts. That is part of the “fun” with being the world’s largest airline — something interesting is always happening. All those stories have been well-covered by other media outlets and I think one story that has fallen between the cracks: luggage tracking.

Having your luggage get lost while traveling is annoying — very annoying. Delta has started a new tracking system to help reduce lost luggage and allows passengers to follow along.

Once a passenger checks in their bag and they are scanned, they can start to follow its process to the bag carousel at their destination.

Dorlee and Gargoyle like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Will be very cool to use inflight wifi to verify that your bags are loaded.

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's an awesome idea that would make my wife VERY happy!

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem that concerns me is how some folks might react if they discover that their bags are missing as the door is being closed. I always assumed that FAs routinely lie to passengers about close connection bags making the flight to avoid the trouble that could occur if people knew that they will probably see the bag in several days. I also foresee people refusing to put away laptops, iphones, etc. when the boarding door is closed but bags are still being loaded.

My perspective has always been that when the airline knows you won't get the bag, they could tell you on board, perhaps shortly before landing, so that at least you would save time waiting at the belt for a bag that they already know won't arrive. The time saving would take a bit of the sting out of the lost bag. If they would do this only for elites, it would give us a chance of beating the big line to the baggage claim office.

5. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry about people using this. Once again, DL.IT has not made this an easy feature to find. I found it once, but haven't been able to find it since. If you "Search" on DL.DUMB for the words "Track Luggage" or even "Luggage", it has nothing on there about this.

6. Frozentech
    Original Member

Frozentech Silver Member

Status Points:
    For us it's "luggage", but once you check it with Delta, it's "Baggage". Try searching that way.

From the home page; under "Travel Information", select "Baggage", from the Baggage page, select "Checked Baggage", then select "Track Checked Baggage"

https://www.delta.com/baggage/BaggageTrackStatus.action

Gargoyle likes this.