Delta Air Lines Information Completely Removed From ExpertFlyer Effective Immediately

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Canarsie, Sep 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is the official statement from ExpertFlyer:

SomeDay, jrp2, Newscience and 3 others like this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok. I understand that ExpertFlyer charges for the "pro" use and I suspect Delta does not share these fees. Future more, Delta's team probably had their share of customers demanding stuff they claimed to have seen on the ExpertFlyer. It is a pity but not hard to see why Delta would want to stop this especially since they've been putting a lot of work into their own apps.

SomeDay, Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  3. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Expertflyer is becoming less useful by the day lately. It's a shame in a way because they were really useful, but I can see why Delta or other airlines wouldn't want them to continue.

4. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    if it's information that is accessible on Delta sites or Apps anyway, i'm not sure why Delta would bar it, or am i missing something ?

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only that Delta wants us all to be forced onto their own website. In the short run probably not major, but longer term they can change availability based on modelling, among other things, propensity to pay by their own clients. Thus they'll charge even more for premium passengers than they already do. Despite my own continuing use of SkyTeam and SkyMiles, this is one more reason to move to other carriers which may be less alert to finding ways to gouge their most lucrative passengers. It's a dual edged sword, but DL also has successfully courted many major corporate programs, so excluding anything that allows or seems to encourage shopping by their customers no longer costs DL very much, in their reasoning anyway.

Davescj and DiverDave like this.
  6. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    hmm, penny wise, pound foolish perhaps ?;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, it seems that the "majors" want to benefit by keeping consumers in the dark about a much as possible.

DiverDave, AMPfromBNA and jbcarioca like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Blocking screen-scraping access is not too surprising to me. I get it, even if I hate it.

Blocking GDS-based access makes a little less sense, though there is a cost to it so I somewhat understand. Not completely, but a little bit.

Newscience, jbcarioca and ACMM like this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonder if this is the tip of the iceberg for airlines pulling out of systems like EF?

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  10. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    sad to see the info go. Wish Delta was more open with their info and not less.

AMPfromBNA, Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps but as of now (and as OW flyer) there is still a ton of information on EP ..some stuff which DL never even allowed from the inception. I just used up all my DL mile for my trip to Europe next month
    so don't much care.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    jbcarioca and ACMM like this.
  12. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    A disappointing development. I used EF to make judgements on SDC opportunities and for stalking particular seats. Not fatal...but annoying.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use EF to evaluate non-stop route options. I live in NY and have been pleasantly surprised with some of DL's new routes from here.

I understand the motivation to bring people to their site...particularly from non-booking info sites like EF.

I, however, am a creature of habit. With these new changes, if a competitor offers non-stop service that is convenient to my schedule which appears on EF, I'm less likely to consider DL. Net, this change will cost DL at least one paid RT from me in the next year; maybe more.

Maybe they'll get two incremental bookings from others more "engaged" on their website.

AMPfromBNA and jbcarioca like this.
  14. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why would anyone be surprised? Another move to keep consumers in the dark about DL product, other than via the narrow and increasingly less-helpful channel at DL.COM. The strategy is clear: eliminate all alternative sources of information including aggregated info via GDS and control as absolutely as possible the quality and volume of information of use to the flyer. Data-blind customers can be ripped off and more easily, with no comeback.

This will also encourage mendacious behavior by SM agents - including those who now tell customers, o no ma'am, sir, there are no seats in the UG inventory buckets nor anything except coach middle seats in Economy Discomfort for your 15-hour ride to SYD or PVG or JNB... even though you paid M or B class and it's $4500 per ticket...muahaha!

If I ever paid to fly DL except when they are rock-bottom cheapest I could see how this might frustrate me. But I don't. So I laugh.

15. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Part of me gets it... but its disappointing.

As an ExpertFlyer subscriber, I did email DL to let them know I was sad. They basically said that EF "does not have a business relationship with Delta" and that the publication of Delta information was unauthorized.They then said that they have made significant improvements to the customer experience, and that I was more than welcome to call the medallion line anytime for assistance with SDC, seat changes, etc.

Unfortunately, the medallion line just isn't the same thing, and the delta native apps aren't as good either. I will acknowledge that customer service has improved, but its not the same.There isn't anyway to set seat alerts, which means I'll be forced into their apps much more often (a waste of time by comparison). Also, in the case of an IROP, I've used EF to find routings that are not standard ('legal connections' per the ticket), but got me home much much quicker. In the past, the medallion line has never offered these routes, but if I ask, they're more than happy to help me get reticketed onto these other flights.

As someone who travels every week for work, this is ultimately a negative. When you travel, you give up a lot of control. EF gave me back just a tiny shred of that control. This change will not completely break my relationship with Delta, but it certainly does add a little more strain to it.

Davescj, jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  16. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Add me to the list of the 'disappointed'. I wasted a good 30 minutes on the phone with the DM call center trying to rework a ticket yesterday. Since I was not able to 'see' the availability, the rep and I went through my list flight by flight. Ridiculous waste of time for both of us.

At least at UA you can use expert mode...

SomeDay, jbcarioca and AMPfromBNA like this.
  17. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    30 min is a long time, maybe with this EF restriction, Delta intends to shorten it to 20 min..:p

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    The really sad thing is I made the exact same changes (using EF) last month. Total time on EF + DM line = < 5minutes.

jbcarioca and MalcoveMagnesia like this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Y'all know that there are other places to find the revenue inventory data, right??

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll bite... Where?

SomeDay and jbcarioca like this.
  21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
  22. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
  23. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I am aware. But, just judging from the EF email, it certainly seems that they will be coming after FS and you in the not too distant future, Have you been contacted by them?

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My data is not pulled from any Delta-owned/operated source. I'm not sure they'd be able to touch me.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear it. I hope for your sake (and your users) that they can't :). It sounds like they are going to try to go with the scorched earth approach though. I admit I don't know who gets their info from where etc. But I think I am confused. I thought EF got their info from the GDS. While I realize they(DL) own their data, does Delta own/operate some portion of the GDS making them able to restrict how / to whom it is (re)distributed?