Delta advice on award booking

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by suenam, Sep 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found a great flight from LAX to SYD in business on V Australia on Delta's site for 150,000 miles. I need to fly from BOS and I cannot get the website to price the award from BOS for the same price. Is there a way to do this? I even tried using just Delta flights and it still won't let me. I'm not sure if it is me or the system. Has anyone been able to get a flight from the East Coast to Australia with Delta points for 150,000 miles in business?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Even when there's low availability on Delta to Los Angeles the website (and even phone agents) have a hard time pricing this correctly.

Have you verified that there is low space on the Delta domestic flights? If not then it won't price for 150k. If there is, you can try calling. But ultimately you may have to start/end in Los Angeles on the award because getting something to price correctly when the computers don't do it automatically can be a real nightmare, I've gone through a dozen agents before finding one who could fix such a thing.

3. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta is showing 32,500 for economy from BOS to LAX but only on the outbound. No low space on the return. If I call, would they include the BOS-LAX portion for the same fare?

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    In theory they should. Can you do the award BOS-LAX-Australia-LAX (in other words, an open jaw) on the website?

I'm still assuming that BOS-LAX outbound is available as 'low' .. what date/flight?

5. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Economy
    From
    25,000miles
    +$10.00
    Taxes/Carrier-imposed fees

OUTBOUND Flight
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5:55pm
    BOS
    12:27am
    01 Jul​

LAX
    1-stop
    9 h 32 m​

JFK
    1 hr 25 min Layover​

I will continue on to Sydney
    You selected these flights:

Outbound
    Mon 01 Jul 2013​
    |​
    10:10pm
    LAX
    to​
    6:15am
    SYD
    |​
    Nonstop​
    |​
    VA 2

Show Details

10:10pm

LAX

6:15am
    03JUL​

SYD

Nonstop
    15 h 05 m​

VA 2
    Business​

Return
    Sat 13 Jul 2013​
    |​
    10:00am
    SYD
    to​
    7:30am
    LAX
    |​
    1-stop​
    |​
    VA 9311 VA 7

Show Details

10:00am

SYD

7:30am
    14JUL​

LAX

1-stop
    38 h 30 m​

BNE
    23 h 45 m Layover​

Business
    Business​

Operated by:
    1Virgin Australia Airlines

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    32500 is not low, but is half low, half medium. I'm unsure of what you mean with your statement.

Either low coach or low F segments should be able to add on. Price them out 1-way, BOS-LAX and LAX-BOS to make sure that they are low. They should price out at 25k for coach or 45k for F.

I must be lucky - I checked my preferred dates as well as +/- 1-2 days on either end, and only a couple of dates did not have available at least 2 low seats in F. The TPAC flights were open +/- 3 days on either end as well. I just chose my preferred days and pieced things together with multi city search and everything worked.

If you provide actual dates we can check/verify. Open jaw and east coast are no problem - I booked MSP-LAX-SYD-LAX-MSP-PHL.

Things can certainly be a bit squirrely, but there's no issue with what you are trying to do, as long as the segments are all low.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That prices out fine for me on the outbound, using multi-city to search segment by segment.
    delta.PNG

8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or the full thing, missed the return flights initially. Just enter segment by segment and it should work fine.
    delta2.PNG

gleff likes this.
  9. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your help. i wasn't putting in the JFK flight. That may have been the problem.

mattsteg likes this.
  10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's no guarantee of success, but the best odds typically come from manually specifying each and every segment in the multi city search, with the checkbox that "schedule" is more important than price checked (after searching out each low segment individually). Try to make dl.com do as little thinking as possible.

suenam likes this.