Delta Adds Premium Economy Seats

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by The Points Guy, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. The Points Guy
    Original Member

The Points Guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Today the official announcement was released about the new “Economy Comfort” seats and I have to say I’m pretty impressed. My original questions were:
    1) Will elites have access to this premium cabin- if so, at what price?
    Yes- FREE for Diamond and Platinum Medallion (and up to 8 companions). 50% discount for Gold. 25% Discount for Silver.
    2) Will the seats be different than regular coach seats (like Air France) or will they be the same, but with more legroom (United Economy Plus)
    I think they will be the same seats, but with increased recline and new seatcovers. Not the best scenario, but better than nothing.
    3) How much will they cost to buy?
    $80- $160 each way in addition to coach fare. Free if you buy a full fare (Y) coach ticket.
    4) What amenities come with an economy plus ticket? Amenity kit? Business class type meals? Free booze?
    Free booze, in flight entertainment, power ports.
    5) How much will award tickets cost?
    No mention because the press release only addresses paid travel. However, my guess is that Diamonds and Platinums will be able to book coach awards and select Economy Comfort seats if available. Will update when I get that information- I called the Diamond line and they had limited information (probably the same press release) and didn’t know anything about redeeming for Economy Comfort seats.

Overall I think this is a big win for Delta flyers- especially Diamond and Platinum Medallions. I've done Delta coach transatlantic several times and would have definitely appreciated a little more leg-room and recline. While I always had an exit row, those seats are meagerly padded, so this is definitely an improvement.

mcruiser and Dovster like this.
  2. MikeMpls
    Original Member

MikeMpls Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a "win" only for Delta Plats & Diamonds.

It's a big "win" for UA once Delta's Golds & Silvers see that they've been had once again. [​IMG]

Bikeguy and Dovster like this.
  3. DLNYC
    Original Member

DLNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was holding out hope for a more AF/VS-style premium econ product. I wonder how long the free seating for DM/PM plus 8 companions will last. At least with a proper premium econ product DL could have justified not "upgrading" elites for free.

Oh well, better than nothing. And at least we get new seatcovers.

4. geoffco
    Original Member

geoffco Silver Member

Status Points:
    From email just received from Delta:

More comfort is coming to an international flight near you.

Starting this summer, you will experience more space, legroom and recline on our long-haul international flights as we introduce "Economy Comfort" - a new section of seats located at the front of the Economy cabin that will feature up to four more inches of extra legroom and 50% more recline.

Better yet, as a valued Diamond or Platinum Medallion® member, when you purchase an International Economy ticket on Delta, you and your travel companions on the same reservation will have complimentary access to these seats.

So get ready to enjoy Economy Comfort on your next international flight this summer! Stay tuned for more information on Economy Comfort this spring.

Very interesting that it's only for Diamond+Plat. Let the backlash from Gold and, um, Silver (that's still a status level, right :p) to begin.

Like the additional recline feature!​

5. geoffco
    Original Member

geoffco Silver Member

Status Points:
    "In addition to more leg room and recline, customers seated in Economy Comfort will board early and enjoy complimentary spirits throughout the flight."

Sweet!

6. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    3) How much will they cost to buy?
    $80- $160 each way in addition to coach fare. Free if you buy a full fare (Y) coach ticket.

Seems expensive...

Tenmoc likes this.
  7. flunky
    Original Member

flunky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't believe the 8 companions on the same PNR rule. Maybe 2 at the most especially with only a few rows available.
    Wonder if they will start charging golds and silvers for exit rows since they still will have more leg room.

If it's free I'll take it, but don't think it is worth money from the pic in the press release.
    Scott

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. ddrewboy
    Original Member

ddrewboy Active Member

Status Points:
    The cost seems a bit much but then I'm used to it being free as e+ which is for all elite UA members. Free booze would be a welcome benefit (see pic to the left [​IMG]) but hardly the dealmaker for me.

Tenmoc likes this.
  9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice job Delta! Any mention of seat pitch?

10. DLNYC
    Original Member

DLNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Expensive? At 80-160, I'm guessing a typical TATL out of JFK will run at 100-120 per direction. Seems pretty cheap to me [​IMG]

Tenmoc likes this.
  11. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The question is...how many free spirits can you consume on the flight to make up for the price to buy-up? ;)

12. amf09
    Original Member

amf09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I spent $55 one way on B6 to upgrade to EML for EWR-MCO-SJO. TATL I would pay about $100 one way.

Full PE seats on competing carriers (like AF) cost way too much for my wallet so an enhanced Y+ product is nice. What I would be interested in knowing is if that 'answer' by the OP about power ports is true. It's not in the DL webpage, and I don't know enough about their fleet to know if there's power in the forward Y section.

Tenmoc likes this.
  13. The Points Guy
    Original Member

The Points Guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree- I think they are priced pretty cheaply, especially considering the huge spread between discount coach and upgradeable coach/business.

On a side note, I really hope Delta adds Premium Economy Award redemptions. AF has incredible Premium Economy award availability, so it would definitley increase the value of Skymiles if we were able to redeem for it.

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. Vuelos
    Original Member

Vuelos Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 'cost' for PV to AF was much greater than you'd expect as it is beginning to canibalize on the J traffic in addition to reductions in people paying for Y/B/M to upgrade to J.

Tenmoc likes this.
  15. DLNYC
    Original Member

DLNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean was beginning to canabalize--you speak of PV as if it is a thing of the past? They've expanded the PV offering and will start offering PV on the 380s in a few months (excellent news for the NYC-based [​IMG]).

What were the pre-PV requirements for FB members to UG on AF? I can't imagine many STE were buying Y fares in order to ugprade. I could picture people purposefully routing through CDG to take advantage of upgradeable W fares, but the whole thing has been so poorly publicized that I doubt SWU UGs to J are all that common.

Tenmoc likes this.
  16. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Any improvement whatsoever over a regular coach seat on an international flight is a positive in my book.

So I'm all in favor of this.

17. flunky
    Original Member

flunky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it is high. On a longer trip a non elite would pay $320 RT, for a couple of inches of legroom. On UA they could buy a annual E+ pass for $425. This would give them E+ on all there flights for the year. This also includes a companion traveling with them, so for a couple it's over $200 cheaper & would include the domestic flights.
    Now if the seats were more like domestic first I could see paying much more.
    Scott

Tenmoc likes this.
  18. DLNYC
    Original Member

DLNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does this E+ pass include international flights? If so, that's just craziness on UA's part, IMO.

Tenmoc likes this.
  19. Vuelos
    Original Member

Vuelos Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whoops... wrong tense.

Some, yourself included, are purchasing the PV fares to Europe when they would have previously paid for J.

Tenmoc likes this.
  20. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe so. And I think the typical upsale on E+ on a TATL flight on UA is in the range of $99, which is about where Delta would be playing. (this from the same airline that charges $39 for E+ on a 680 mile MSP-DEN hop).

Where United (and likely Delta) will get revenue is from people making impulse buys rather than thinking E+ Annual Option through - it'd be cheaper for them long-term, but many customers don't see the forest through the trees and the airline pounces on said opportunity.

21. DLNYC
    Original Member

DLNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps-I can see your point. There are certain J fares I will purchase. Some are out of my price range. That said, I've purchased 2 W r/ts since DL elites have been able to upgrade using SWU. I've also purchased one DL/KL mix M-fare.

2650 for two r/t biz tickets on AF.
    2200 for one r/t biz ticket on DL/KL.

So one can look at that and say DL missed out, as I would have spent more for three biz tickets pre-W fares. One can also look at it and say DL/AF/KL did pretty well, as the chances of my buying three J tickets in four months were slim to none pre-W. I'm also considering buying J on my next trip to LHR. Definitely wouldn't have been a consideration had it not been for the good deals I've gotten with W-up.

It's also worth noting that W-UP fares book into O class, the same class as award tickets. Better to make 1300-1500 than give the seat away for free.

Tenmoc likes this.
  22. Vuelos
    Original Member

Vuelos Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not going to disagree with your thought for leisure. Unfortunately, the W product is at the level (based on our conversations) where I think you would agree that both of us would legit consider purchasing the W (and flying W) even if the upgrade wouldn't happen. I'm not in that post with an E+ product.

I would also believe that some travel managers, who have seen the PV product, are shifting spend from J --> PV. Heck, I'd take the PV back from Europe if I was paying $$ vs miles.

Tenmoc likes this.
  23. DLNYC
    Original Member

DLNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    True enough. I might consider flying PV without an upgrade, but PV would replace my international economy purchases, not the other way around. On flights where I "need" business, I'm flying business. I do see the argument from your side, I just don't think we have any hard evidence of this happening. Airlines that have proper PE cabins often have excellent business class offerings with little evidence of being ravaged by a premium economy offering (BA, VS, QF, etc). The US-market is different, however, and DL is a heavily domestic carrier, unlike the previous three I've mentioned.

Tenmoc likes this.
  24. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a huge improvement. I like this. I wonder what the first aircraft type and route will have the new layout service.

Since this a 'new' plan by Delta, I wonder if this is a good time to update, in flight entertainment service on DL 747-400. I am aware they are planning to do so in the near future. But if they are planning to do few rows of seats.

Considering you have to take the plane out of service and have to updated the Delta seat map layout information on the website. It might be good idea to do the whole inside.

25. Vuelos
    Original Member

Vuelos Silver Member

Status Points:

You can see that as Business class has slowly improved it's eaten into the margins/revenue from F and, as PV improves it's eating into the J product of some carriers. Unlike BA & VS, AF doesn't offer an excellent business class product... it's 2 - 3 - 2 and the seats aren't even flat. From what I understand, that's part of the reason that PV has been eating into the J revenue...

DL has had the business opportunity to compare the KL model to the AF one and has decided to go with the KL one. I would assume that the refit cost has something to do with it but it also has to do with the ability to generate additional revenue without cannibalizing existing customers.

Tenmoc likes this.