Delta adding pay-to-download movies

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Mar 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...2/03/delta-adding-pay-to-download-movies.html

Delta Air Lines Inc. is adding pay-to-download television shows and movies to its growing buffet of a la carte services.

According to a report by The Star Tribune in Minneapolis, Atlanta-based Delta (NYSE: DAL) passengers on some longer flights can use their laptops to access the airline's Wi-Fi portal to purchase television shows and movies. Costs range from TV shows starting at 99 cents to movies starting at $3.99.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...2/03/delta-adding-pay-to-download-movies.html

autolycus and uggboy like this.
  2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I remember reading something about this a while ago, although at that point it was a "this is something cool in the long-term pipeline" type of thing. Sounds like an interesting idea that could be really nice for people flying two shorter routes in a day. Download the movie and start watching on one flight, watch some during your layover, finish the movie on the next flight.

MSPeconomist and sobore like this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe this has been around on the 753s for a while, but I have not checked it out.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What advantage does this have over downloading the movie or TV show before boarding the plane? Is DL offering a lower priced deal or something? Also, how long does it take to do the download in the air?

autolycus likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The advantage is not needing to plan ahead. I think it streams so no need to download full.

It's more of a captive audience thing - the advantage is availability on a plane with no advance plan.

autolycus likes this.
  6. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    And geeze with the speed of gogo how long is it
    Gonna take to download?

autolycus likes this.
  7. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    If done intelligently, it wont use gogo's cell link but will have the content on a plane-borne server. Wifi should easily stream to enough passengers for this type of product.

daemon14 likes this.
  8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that there will be a local storage unit that has all the IFE and that it will be a lot faster to transport over the wireless network. Basically the same as current IFE, just using your laptop/tablet as the device instead of the seatback.

Now if only their power outlets actually worked ... although I have been able to get miles from those that didn't. :)

GogoInflight likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's streaming, then one would not be able to continue to watch the movie on the next flight without paying again and starting over, not would one be able to watch part in the terminal during connections. Streaming with GoGo also raises questions in my mind regarding whether there will be frequent and long pauses while the streaming occurs.

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Streaming does not necessarily preclude caching, nor does it necessarily mean streaming it from the ground.

This is purely speculation, to be honest, but my read is that there's some sort of plugin etc. that streams and caches the content and license off of storage located on the plane. You can potentially redownload the same content while the license is active either on another plane or on the ground, and it's potentially cached for easy playback within this period also. Even as pure streaming you would not necessarily be precluded from restarting in mid-content on a second plane.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a tech expert, but do I understand that one pays to download content but that content expires at the end of the flight or the day so that one cannot finish watching it later or replay it later? Isn't this different from what the property rights are when you pay to download a movie or TV episode while on the ground?

12. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on each source of content and even varies some within a single content source. A lot of places have downloadable "rentals" that last 24 hours--typically from when you start watching the program, rather than when you start downloading. Cable and satellite typically have such restrictions on pay-per-view programming. It's normal for those purchases to only be good for the day of the purchase--or within 24 hours in the case of streaming or downloaded PPV. FWIW, iTunes had a rental option that was $2.99 or $3.99 for a movie, depending on how recent and/or big a movie, and $.99 for a tv episode. iTunes does not rent tv shows anymore. It sells them for $1.99. Amazon still has a "rental" product. It's prices are lower than the Delta prices, but there's a certain convenience charge for everything on a plane, isn't there?

For the record, here's what the original, lengthier article in the StarTribune says:
    So it's not too far off from other rental services. It's clearly not the same as buying a movie or tv show outright.

13. Gogo

Gogo Z Representative

Status Points:
    Spot on. Our server on the plane stores all the content and sends it over Wi-Fi to your device. We can update the content on a regular basis. Once you purchase a movie or TV show, you can watch on the plane, or continue watching on the ground for 24 or 48 hours depending on the product. Hope this helps!

autolycus and daemon14 like this.
  14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will there be any plugins or apps to download?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint