Delta adding more time for flights to improve on-time rate

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by uggboy, Sep 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta adding more time for flights to improve on-time rate:)

Ever noticed how a flight from Atlanta to New York takes longer than it used to?

The not-so-hidden secret is that airlines have been adding minutes to flight times to improve their on-time performance, as well as to prevent everything from mishandled baggage to missed connections.

Airlines know that their on-time rates are closely monitored by the federal government. What's more, delays that may disrupt passengers' trips can increase complaint rates and affect their willingness to fly the airline again. Delays might also keep passengers from catching connecting flights, which wreaks havoc on travelers' schedules and airline operations.

Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines, for example, has been adding extra minutes onto the airline's estimated “block times” -- the periods that begin when blocks are removed from a plane's wheels at the gate of departure and end when the blocks are placed around the wheels at the destination -- to allow for congestion. The result adds to the amount of time passengers have to allocate for travel generally, on top of security waits.

http://www.ajc.com/business/delta-adding-more-time-1164779.html

2. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually am happy to hear this. Missing a connection can be a nightmare for even the most well traveled person.

While I would love better on time, there are a ton of things outside the control of the airlines that cause delays.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is also causing connection times to shrink. Recently I was offered a 31 minute connection in ATL.

CrankyScott and DeltaExpert like this.
  4. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've also learned that I need to adapt to the new timing with family/friends picking me up at the airport. On my last two trips, I ended up reaching the destinations in both directions about 20 minutes early, then had to wait much longer for my ride.

flyingdawg likes this.
  5. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would always rather be 20 mins early than 20 mins late....

flyingdawg likes this.
  6. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    No complaints here. ;) Just an observation.

flyingdawg likes this.