Delta adding more restrictions on pet travel

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Jul 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/07/03/2178071/delta-adding-more-restrictions.html

With high-profile, air-travel-related pet deaths causing an outcry among pet lovers, carriers including Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines have changed some policies for carrying animals on board. But that also means it can now be more difficult, complicated and expensive to fly with a pet, be it for a long-distance move or for a family vacation.

Navigating the rules and restrictions for flying a pet on an airline can be tricky. As of last month, for example, Delta no longer carries pets as cargo or checked baggage on any flights on the Boeing 767.
    Delta said it contacted customers affected by the change to offer alternatives. In some cases, the airline can move the customer to an earlier or later flight, or turn to its airline partners. Delta has about 81 Boeing 767s among its fleet of more than 800 aircraft.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/07/03/2178071/delta-adding-more-restrictions.html

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL isn't doing this to be difficult to pet owners. They are doing this to kill fewer pets and should be applauded.

iolaire, rwoman, sobore and 2 others like this.
  3. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Chihuahua carryon a few rows behind me from LGA-ATL thinks that checking your dog is for suckers. Also he seemed to think it was very important to bark the entire flight.

karenkay and hpc like this.
  4. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was very glad to not be seated next to the lady with an "emotional support dog" on OMA-MSP recently. The dog had a little vest with that text on it and everything. I was not at all surprised to see her seated in F. The dog was quiet for the entire flight at least.

5. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    A quiet dog is a good neighbor. Better than a lot of people I've sat next to by far :)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta has killed and lost a lot of pets. I'm glad they are trying to do something to prevent that trend from continuing.

PLUS_1 and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but the emotional animals are allowed out of carriers on board, just like a genuine seeing eye dog would be. Who knows how they're trained or if they have a tendency to bite people. No thanks. These beasts should be muzzled in airports and on airplanes.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My emotional support animal :D

IMG_1748-sm.JPG

PLUS_1 likes this.
  9. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never even heard of an issue like that however issues with people and airtravel are very common. If anything, some of the people should be muzzled!

10. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the breed? Can't exactly tell from the photo, but it reminds me of our little miniature pincer, Lulu... down to the harness. She's running with the big dogs now, but we had a lot of good years (and naps) together.

jrp2 likes this.
  11. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dachshund

PLUS_1 and misman like this.