Deleting a connection and changing carrier on award ticket

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by DoubleVision, Feb 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DoubleVision

DoubleVision Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the following award ticket booked
    1. EWR-FRA-MXP on LH
    2. MXP-MUC on LH
    3. MUC-LHR-EWR on LH/UA
    There is award space opened up for direct flight EWR-MXP on UA. There is still over 21 days prior to my departure. The question is if I change the first segment from EWR-FRA-MXP to EWR-MXP would I be charged $75 change fee (no status)?

It looks like there are 2 contradictory rules that apply here
    1. Adding, changing or deleting a connection, 21 days or more prior to departure – No fee
    2. Changing the cabin, award type, or changing a flight to a different airline, regardless of departure date - $75

In this case I will be deleting a connection (rule 1) and also changing carrier (rule 2) for one segment. Note that for the entire itinerary a mix of carriers (UA/LH) remains the same.

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the ticket is on UA stock, I believe they'll let you change to the MXP-EWR flight for free, but hopefully someone else can confirm that.

3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're not within 21 days from the date of departure nor are you changing the origin/destination, so no change fee.

skyvan likes this.
  4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, routing is not one of the things that incurs a change. Only changes within 21 days, to origin, or to destination, or to both, will force the $75 fee. Changes to the dates with or without routing changes don't hit changes.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the rules are interpreted strictly, I am not so sure that there won't be a fee for the OP to change the carrier from LH (EWR-FRA-MXP) to UA (EWR-MXP), even more than 21 days before departure. A connection has been deleted 21+ days before departure, that won't cost anything; but the carrier has also been changed:

You may want to call UA customer support to be sure...Such rules can often be bent.

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you had trouble with this? I've done carrier changes without charge. Previous to my prior change I did LAX-NRT-SIN on ANA to LAX-SIN on SQ and had no charge.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like I said, if you do this by the book, there should be a fee, but the change is benign. In addition LH and UA, as two of the 5 original members of *A, have a strong relationship, so that the rules involving travel on their metals are often bent. Having been a top elite for a while now, I have not paid any fees for changes to award tickets, even very close to departure date...

Sent from my DROID4 Global using milepoint

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not trying to be a :rolleyes: but top elites don't pay for any kind of award change fees... :confused:

Unless you consider Silver to be top elite? :p

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must be missing something because I fail to see what the issue or the disagreement is. The OP is NOT a "top elite" (otherwise it would all be a moot point since there would not be a fee regardless) and this is what I said:

When I use the phrase "top elite" I almost invariably mean 1K (in some self-evident contexts it might include GS and Plats)