Delayed Luggage

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by mickey1341, Mar 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mickey1341

mickey1341 Active Member

Status Points:
    My luggage has been delayed by 48 hours so far on a flight from LAX to ATH via JFK &LHR . I got a txt that my bag was still in JFK and it should be in Athens by tomorrow night I wanted to know what compensation am I entitled to?

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    IMHO, you are entitled to have it brought to your hotel. Nothing more.

Luggage gets lost at times. At least they know where yours is and will get it to you soon.

That being said, how did you pay for the flight? Does the card have a lost luggage reimbursement clause?

3. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:

you may not be "entitled" to anything --BUT , if u contact the airline ( in writing ) explain and complain ,i think u will get more than just your expenses for emergency replacement ,why not try

daemon14 likes this.
  4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct, some airlines allow a certain per-diem for each day that your luggage is delayed. Last year, Delta had 2 pieces of my baggage delayed for about 5 days (a "snowstorm" in ATL shut down the airport, making it worse) and reimbursed me for some expenses. Though I count that as a lucky get

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree with most of the above. I'd say write a brief, concise email to AA outlining what went wrong and what type of compensation you'd like. Some miles or a small voucher might be appropriate.

As for a per diem and delayed baggage, AA gives does many options to follow up and it does allow some reimbursement if approved by the baggage agent as outlined on AA.com:

Interim Expenses

When checked baggage is delayed, an American Airlines/American Eagle Baggage Service Representative may authorize reasonable interim expenses to purchase items necessary for immediate use. To obtain reimbursement of expenses, submit:
    • Your confidential six-letter file locator
    • A copy of your ticket receipt and baggage claim checks
    • Your original, dated, itemized, verifiable receipts documenting the authorized expenditures
    Mail to the following address within 30 days of authorization:
    American Airlines, Interim Expense Reimbursement
    P.O. Box 619613 MD 1322/HDQ
    DFW Airport, TX 75261-9613

6. TDCumm16

TDCumm16 Active Member

Status Points:
    Correct. Follow the process for interim expenses. You'll need to call the AA baggage service representative and they will approve authorization for you to be reimbursed for interim expenses. You'll then need to mail in receipts and documentation related to your lost luggage ticket with AA.

In my case it took about 4 weeks for AA to process my request after mailing in the documentation to receive a reimbursement check.

FWIW.... My baggage was delayed by 24+ hours on an AA flight for a business trip. I had to purchase new clothing & shoes just so I had something to wear to a meeting before my luggage was located & returned The cost of that purchase was ~$200 and AA approved & processed it without any questions.

rharrigill likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP TDCumm16, glad you're here and a great personal example to suppose the thread. :)

8. mickey1341

mickey1341 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for your response , so far no sign of my luggage got a txt this morning that the bag is in LHR and will be on the flight this evening after the flight landed I called the BA rep and they told me it was not on the flight. Go figure!!