Delayed Luggage for 6 days

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Albert, Jan 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Albert
    Original Member

Albert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Long story short…I was on a 9-day international trip starting with a JFK-LAX, LAX-NRT, NRT-ICN segment, where I had a overnight layover in ICN before going to HKG the next morning. I was in HKG for 2 days and then returning to NRT for 3 more days before flying back stateside.

My luggage was left in LAX and took about 6 days to return to me and I made the mistake of not packing any additional clothes in my carryon backpack. As you can imagine, it was below freezing in Seoul and I had no business clothing for my HKG or NRT trip. I ended up having to buy a bunch of clothing in ICN and HKG, just so that I can be relatively presentable while I was on the trip.

I wrote to 1Kvoice about 4 days ago about getting reimbursement and haven't heard back. I realize that it's still somewhat of a holiday season and that we had some crazy storms in the last week. Any advice on how to follow-up?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you get the auto-reply that your inquiry was received? If not I'd submit again. If you did then I'd wait another week.

3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally delayed luggage is the responsibility of the (final) carrier which actually flew you to the destination to which the luggage was checked, irrespective of whether that was the carrier that checked the luggage in the first place. It's not entirely clear whether United was the carrier that flew you to ICN (if that's where the checked luggage was to be delivered) or to Hong Kong if the luggage was checked through to HKG.

At any rate, if the responsible carrier is United, then there is a lost/delayed baggage division at GHQ you should be able to deal with directly (probably the same contact that 1K Voice will ultimately have to either refer you to, or deal with on your behalf).

Check out https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/delayed.aspx and the toll-free number they post there (1-800-335-2247).

From experience, in such cases (where I absolutely need the clothes in the next day or two for meetings or something) I always ask at the airport when I report the fact that the luggage didn't show up whether the airline will authorize purchase of replacement clothing if the bags are not located and delivered promptly (they usually say the bags should be on the next flight, or something similar). I get something from the airline stating what purchases would be authorized (and if there is a dollar limitation, how much it is, and who can approve exceptions if needed) and how I would be reimbursed. That (a) puts them on notice that I may need to purchase replacement articles, (b) puts my mind more at ease, and (c) may incentivize them to more diligently locate the missing baggage.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  4. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck. My experience with lost luggage is calls are directed to India or another foreign country. I was in Maui for 12 days with no luggage and United was nice enough to allow me $200 for clothes then when receipts were submitted for a little over $200 including fees for laundromat, only $98 was approved. I hope you have better luck.

FetePerfection likes this.
  5. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have Chase UA credit card, they provide insurance for this purpose and reimburse for clothes, etc upto a certain dollar amount.

6. Albert
    Original Member

Albert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used my SPG Amex for this flight and the parts of the trip where my luggage was lost was all on UA. I had some segments after that trip on other carriers, I will try the number you provided when I am back at home. Thanks for the help.