Delayed IAH Terminal B Renovation Finally to Start in 2011

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ssullivan, May 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to this article, the renovation and expansion to IAH's Terminal B that was supposed to start in 2008 is finally going to happen this year. The bad news is that they're predicting a 10 year process to complete it.

2. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    :cool:

Much needed. I wonder how much of a hassle this is gonna create.

They've got a new "remote" gate setup at A for the Saabs and Q400s, I wonder if they'll just move some of the flights over there.

3. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know. When the Saabs are all in, they use most of the new gates in A. The Q400s seem to now be using all gates available. A week ago I saw Q400s at four jetways on the north concourse, and two of the old UA gates on the south concourse. That may make it more difficult to shift RJ flights to A. My guess is that they'll fully utilize B84, the RJ-capable gates at D, and possibly some gates in C or E (E was built with at least some jetways that could handle the RJs).

Unfortunately the plans I saw a few years ago included a lot of gates that were like B84 and the new A gates for the Saabs. I'm not sure that's a big improvement over the current situation, since at least right now most B flights get a jetway. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Funny thing is I remember well how B was a HUGE improvement for the COEX operation back in 1998, and how spacious the terminal felt when COEX moved over there. There weren't nearly as many RJ operated flights then, and the pods were still in their original configuration, with half the number of jetways they currently have. So, dealing with one of those pods with 5-6 gates originally designed for planes larger than the 50 seat ERJs was no big deal. There was ample seating for everyone, it was quiet, and comfortable. Sure, the restrooms were still way too small for the 150 or so people you might see in one of those pods at a time, but it sure beat the old COEX operation in C.

Then things suddenly changed and Terminal B became the ghetto it now is.

4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the looks of this, that is correct:
    [​IMG]

6. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The UA press release is more descriptive. Sounds like a pretty ambitious project. Some highlights of the first phase, due in 2013:

Then, over the next 10 years or so...

I'm looking forward to seeing some renderings and hearing more about the project.

7. Critic
    Original Member

Critic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I reading this right - B North is going to connect to C & E to make one continuous corridor?

8. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    B will have a separate FIS building constructed between B and C. I expected to see an expansion to D before a new international terminal is built, so this is mildly surprising to me.

9. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    See the graphic above. the connector is the light green piece.

10. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like phase three will have a fair amount of additional space for mainline aircraft?

11. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Phases two and three, actually.

The lousy thing about this is that the south side (phase one) is probably going to be a glorified, much nicer version of B84. I seriously hope there's going to be some sort of shelter for boarding the aircraft down there and that they'll get over the nonsense of holding everyone on the plane until all gate checked bags are unloaded if the majority of the RJ flights are going to be operating out of gates with no jetways.

12. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reading the architectural summary of the south side gates, it will be similar to B84 in the sense that there will be a central waiting area. But apparently the seating area will be above the gates, and they'll call zones to so you know when boarding is coming up. Not really sure how well that's gonna work.

13. Tex1899

Tex1899 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the high efficiency boarding process noted in EWR764's post.

Interesting how the north side of the new B appears to have a mix of mainline and RJ gate. Prep work (which gate am I flying out of) will become more important as mainline and RJ's become mixed. Right now it's easy...mainline C (or E), RJ goes to B (primarily).

14. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can see them starting to move towards the Hartsfield-style concourses envisioned in the master plan on the graphic there. 10 years sounds about right given that they can't shut down operations to do all the construction; it will take them longer to do the rest (underground tram, et al.).

Here's an image I stole from another forum.

[​IMG]

15. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Holding everyone like that is infuriating. :mad:

16. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    luckily, since they finished the train, I don't have to go to B84T anymore to transit to terminal A :star:

ssullivan and Flyer1976 like this.
  17. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That, and the new A gates for the Colgan Saab flgihts, were very welcome improvements to that airport.

18. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, you are absolutely right. Especially since there WERE NO gates before!

For those unfamiliar, you would get off on the tarmac, get onto a bus, and be bussed to a gate. Then take a second bus over to B84T, the bowels of the airport, then walk the 10 minutes to the train. :rolleyes:

19. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think anyone shed a single tear the day the bus operation went away for good. It was horrible in the old days at B84 before the boarding corridors were built, and it was horrible in A, where multiple flights boarded down the same jetway at the same time.

Of course, it would be really nice if there were jetways for all those Saabs and RJs. After all, they're all capable of being accessed from a jetway, and some of the tiny airports the Saabs fly to have somewhat more weatherproof boarding arrangements for the Saabs than the hub at IAH does.

20. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points: