Degrading Delta Service?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Edward A Crowley, Apr 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I am a Diamond Platinum member of Delta and I flew over 200,000 miles last year. It seems to me that I have seen a rather dramatic decline in Delta's service over the last six months. Of my last 12 trips with them, 50% have had delays of 30 minutes or more (up to 4 hours) due to mechanical issues. The planes are having a lot of 'beat up problems' such as broken seats, shabby interiors, etc. At the same time, they seem to be reducing the number of business class seats, and going to more flights without business class using small commuter carrier partners. Even though I am their highest class of member, I only receive upgrades about 50% of the time (at best).

What are other frequent fliers seeing? Are their any other carriers whose level of service and equipment is better? I'm not worried about points, I fly all of the time so I will qualify for the highest level on whatever airline I go to.

2. I agree. That's why last year I pretty much cleared my account of almost 400K miles for 4 first class tickets to HNL.
    Service was marginal at best. Two-plus hour delay in HNL on return trip caused mis-connect in ATL, and no one seemed to care. Crown Room in SLC and HNL would not allow my family of 4 in without paying $25 for the fourth in my party. I'm a lifetime member of the Crown Room.
    Admirals club in HNL welcomed all 4 of us with open arms even tho' we were flying Delta.
    It is the "Northwestern-ization" of Delta.
    Go figgure.
    B

3. Have you switched to American? Will they let you 'transfer' your status?

4. I was Delta Gold for five years before 9/11. After 9/11 they started flying ONLY CRJs out of Austin. In those days no first class on any CRJs. So why would I pay extra for my tickets? Delta downgraded the mileage FFs accumulated at that time so that in order to keep my status as Gold I would have had to purchase higher fare tickets. But...why pay for a fare with no chance of upgrades. 2003 was the last year I flew Delta more than once in a coon's age. HOWEVER, my experiences as Gold on American have recently included back-to-back flight cancellations due to mechanical problems. American's fleet is aging as fast as any airline. I could go on and on, but you get the drift. FFs are really not safe on any of today's airlines. But I do love Southwest. Gets me where I want to go on time and with a little cash ($20 R/T) just about any seat on the plane.

5. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting the OP is seeing an increase in RJ's sans FC when DL is retiring more and more 50 seaters, adding FC to the -700s and taking out rows of economy to add more FC seats in many planes and adding E+ to international routes. I have seen 50 seater flights on new routes that were not serviced previously such as the BOS-ORF service, which to me is just a bonus, and have been happy to see improvements such as FC on the -700s on the DCA-BOS routes, thanks to competition from B6 and the like. As a gold I have actually seen my UG percentage rise, and I fly elite heavy routes such as DCA-ATL and the SFO routes.

Very strange to hear such a contrasting experience.

DeacFlyer1 and DeltaExpert like this.
  6. Gatorray
    Original Member

Gatorray Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was an ExPlat on AA for a while and now am Plat with Delta. I have an acceptable upgrade % so far (100% on AA though) and I do notice the age of the Delta aircraft. But I believe that the grass only seems greener on the other side when it comes to airlines, generally.

One thing that I don't have on Delta that I had a bunch on AA was the mysteriously reclining seat. Being told to bring my seat back up, letting the FA know that it won't stay up, dealing with the FA furiously banging on the armrest and pushing the button was a pain...although a few times it actually worked!

bez7 and MSPeconomist like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last time I checked, the DTW-SYR route was all CRJ-200, except possibly for flights at 6 am or midnight not permitting connections in DTW. On PMNW, it was all DC-9 service (with FC). From SYR, there were RJ flights to BOS and NYC IIRC, but I haven't checked what aircraft DL is using for these routes. For me, SYR service has clearly been downgraded.

8. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow this was not at all what I expected the topic to be about....

On topic, I'm a plat w/CO and the 'service' in the air is lightyears behind DL. Yes, a few of their planes have IFE & WiFi but making me pay for 'mixed drinks' in F. Bullshit.

As for AA... possibly the most disgusting 757 I've ever flown on was theirs:

[​IMG]

brfort likes this.
  9. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is a Diamond Platinum member?

10. Gatorray
    Original Member

Gatorray Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good catch!

bez7, MSPeconomist and DeltaExpert like this.
  11. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am beginning to think the OP is spam.

12. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hate to say it and want to believe the OP, but a number of things don't add up. First, someone who flies 200K a year on DL knows their status is called Diamond. Second, "beat up problems" seems to be the opposite trend of Delta these days. Third, reducing "business" class seats? If you're talking about "flights without business class using small commuter planes", wouldn't you say "First class"?...I don't think DL is downgrading many 777's to CRJ's these days ;) And a Diamond only getting upgrades 50% of the time? I don't care if you only fly out of ATL and only fly to LAX, you're getting upgraded more than that. And not worried about points? When have people started calling Skymiles points?

Again, I almost never do this, and apologize if I'm wrong, but all of these things taken together seem a little off to me...

13. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I think that someone needs to hit the report button. I am happy to.