Define this for me: Foodie

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by mrredskin, Aug 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a term I'm hearing all too often - someone being a "Foodie". What in the heck does that mean?You like to eat??? Who doesn't like to eat?!? Do you like eating more so than others, or does it involve eating out at the newest fad of a restaurant trying to detect something that you think it's missing?? Is it solely eating out or do you "foodie-ize" your own cooking (if you even cook)?

Help me out, here. What makes you a Foodie when eating is a necessity for survival? Or do you only like good food? I like good food, so does that make me a foodie?

FWIW, this all started a couple of months ago when a friend of mine ordered some mac and cheese. Someone said "Let xxxx try it... she's a foodie". She leans over, takes a bite, and says "it's good... but missing something". This was after three others had just declared it some of, if not the best mac and cheese they have ever had. Now I see/hear it every week or so. It's pretty confusing as to what exactly it is defined to be.

jbcarioca and SC Flier like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    A person whose hobby is knowing and having an avid interest in the latest food fads.
    A person with a special interest in or knowledge of good food, not necessarily gourmet food, just good food.

Scottrick, jbcarioca and SC Flier like this.
  3. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's an overused term which rarely is used correctly. As you mentioned, everyone needs to eat and most everyone likes to eat things that taste good. I first understood foodie to be someone who likes to try and experience new/exotic/trendy food. However, I think just about every blogger I see calls themselves a foodie when they try a new restaurant. In fact, I've seen people describe themselves as foodies and then talk about a trip to Red Lobster which, IMO, is not worthy of foodies as it is a chain restaurant. Maybe I'm also frustrated by this term and it's over use!

Bluto, jbcarioca, SC Flier and 3 others like this.
  4. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a pretty good definition, I think, though I would hesitate to use the term 'fad', as I think it too often is used (and often incorrectly) in a pejorative way.

Basically, I think foodie is largely a substitute for the terms gourmand, gourmet, or epicurean, all of which seem a bit stuffy, and which I think have become overly associated with luxury foodstuffs and 'fine' dining. For example, someone with an intense interest in BBQ could readily be called a foodie, but might chafe at the label of gourmand.

I disagree with the idea that everyone likes to eat things that taste good. I know a lot of people that simply don't care. I know even more that eat the same foods out of habit and are afraid to try many commonplace foodstuffs. Now, it might be a bit of an overused term, but it wouldn't be the first.

jbcarioca and SC Flier like this.
  5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would find it hard to believe that a significant enough portion of individuals like to eat things that taste bad. They may not care or eat things out of habit, but if they don't like the taste, I don't think they would eat it...

slice19 likes this.
  6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about...
    There are a lot of people that have poor taste in food.

kellio and Scottrick like this.
  7. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are any number of things that really don't taste like much of anything at all. Some of these <cough>boneless, skinless chicken breasts<cough> are among the most popular items at the supermarket.

I think you don't give enough credit to the diversity of reasons people eat what they do. A vegetarian may be a vegetarian for ethical concerns. Someone might eat chicken vs beef because of dietary concerns. Others might eat at McDonald's for the sake of convenience. Sure, most people won't eat things they find to taste bad, but that doesn't mean concern for taste is paramount in their thinking about food.

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel it is more the group of people who take photos of their food and like to write about it, share it online or clobber their friends over the head with their opinions.

My wife and I partake in many foodie type events and a club or two. But I don’t think we are really foodies because although we do like to eat, we don’t make it a core feature of who we are. I might take a photo or two of an exceptionally good street food well traveling but you will not see me taking course by course photos of each of my meals, nor will you see me posting regular reviews of restaurants on the various food sites – or on this site.

On the flip side traveling is part of the core thing that we do and talk about so we would fit more into the category of travelers…

savydog, slice19 and mrredskin like this.
  9. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't necessarily say that frequent fliers taking photos of their airplane meals and blogging about it is cause to call them foodies. (Unless maybe they are documenting things in order to request compensation.)

savydog and mrredskin like this.
  10. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. I will take pictures of food and write a review on yelp or elsewhere just so others can get an idea. It's not because I am a "foodie". I call it doing a service for others so they can try it or avoid it if they choose to go by my opinion.
    I don't understand the chicken reference. Do most people just bake, fry, or grill a plain piece of chicken? Surely most will use it in Chicken Helper, season it up, or make some sort of casserole or other dish with it. At least that's what all of my friends, family, and myself do with chicken breasts.

I will elect for cheaper options of foods even tho I like the taste of others more. I am much more inclined to buy $1.99 a pound chicken breast on sale than I am a $9.99 a pound beef filet. Do I prefer the filet more? Yes, most of the time. However, I can by 5x more chicken at that price... something else I do enjoy.

11. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    disagree completely. i'm not one to judge what others find tasty. if you enjoy a mcdonalds quarter pounder over a homemade burger, then more power to you.

mht_flyer likes this.
  12. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mmmmmmm food!! To me, if it didn't come out of a plastic wrapper, and it is warm, it must be gourmet. ;)

kellio and mht_flyer like this.
  13. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can we agree that people generally prefer food that they find pleasing on the taste buds over food they do not, calories, cost, politics, etc. aside. :)

14. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think generally labels are assigned by third parties, and at some point certain members of a community will adopt those labels, but in general I doubt the community that falls under that label thinks of themselves by the label. i.e. How many people do you know that happily tell each other that they are Gen X or Gen Y, or on the flip side someone might be labeled a bigot/moron/bookworm but more than likely they feel that they are fairly normal and don’t make an effort to classify themselves as such.

So although you don’t self-identity as a foodie maybe you are? (Maybe I’m also one?)

Follow up to my ordinal post topic
    I still feel the foodie label is related to the internet and the sharing of opinion. Many people will eat in different restaurants, but there is an additional activity than that that helps to label a person as a foodie. Part of it is the desire to evaluate or provide criticism on the food, part is the desire to share methods and ingredients – in the end I think it has to do with the act of sharing your feelings on the topic of food with others.

15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope I am not too pedantic in my comments. If I am I apologize

I worry about equating those the terms because they are very, very different.

gour·mand

[goo[​IMG]r-mahnd, goo[​IMG]r-muh[​IMG]nd]
    noun
    1.a person who is fond of good eating, often indiscriminatingly and to excess.

Thus the BBQ fan is almost always a gourmand as is the one who gets stuffed at Red Lobster
    However, they most certainly might be unhappy about the gourmet label, and epicure might even be worse

gour·met
    [goo[​IMG]r-mey, goo[​IMG]r-mey]
    noun
    1.a connoisseur of fine food and drink; epicure.

Definitions courtesy of dictionary.com

16. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    nah, definitely not a foodie. i review all kinds of places - not just restaurants.

i like sharing my feelings, without a doubt, but the only one that listens to me every time is my porcelain friend :)

17. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't agree at all. You can definitely be a foodie without taking it online and without even having to share anything. There's often a correlation with sharing, but not always. To me, a large part of being a foodie is having an interest in learning more about ingredients and how they can come together to make a dish special. Sharing that with someone can make that more exciting for most people, but it's not necessary.

18. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would consider myself a foodie, and here's what it means to me (maybe I can license my picture to Webster's!):

I like to eat thoughtfully prepared and creative meals. I like to discuss these meals with friends and family. I choose the stores I shop at and the restaurants I dine at carefully. I subscribe to a weekly CSA food box and to Cook's Illustrated. I love finding a grocer who sells 10 different kinds of potatoes at the farmer's market.

On the other hand, I am fully aware that not everyone has the time or interest to do so. I don't care about sports, and I rarely go to bars or concerts, which saves money for other things. People place their priorities on different things. There are also lots of people who can't afford great quality food. It's not my goal to act superior to them, just as I hope people who wear Gucci don't look down on those who shop at Walmart.

I try not to be pretentious about it, and I don't go out of my way to buy baking chocolate for $20 a pound and boast about it when $10 a pound will do. I am fortunate that I can afford $10 a pound and am happy with that. I still buy Hershey's and Nestle for certain recipes, and I can tell you what flavor Hot Pocket you're eating from the smell alone. My girlfriend still has no clue why I'm such a fan of Pizza Hut and Taco Bell when I can also tell you the best place to get authentic fish tacos or Neapolitan pizza. At the end of the day it's no different that being a movie buff vs. a couch potato. Some things are great for being great, others are great for being so terribly bad. But you care enough to know the difference rather than just going to whatever is recommended on Rotten Tomatoes.

techgirl, kellio, slice19 and 2 others like this.