Decoding stopover rules: In general.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by anileze, Aug 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have rarely paid serious attention to stopover rules. Most of my international flights tend to be nonstop ex NYC. However, of late I have been contemplating this issue, (post DL investment in VS) as it is more beneficial to fly to South Africa for a couple of bucks more, and have a long stopover for $100 in London.
    The question is how long is a stopover permissible ? Where in the fare basis does one figure out what is maximum allowed stopover ? Having said that, I have a non-VS/DL stop over question, specifically on NH.
    Here is the fare basis - NH KLE06NY3 ( NYC to BJS ). It says two allowed in Area 3 (Asia) How many days can I stopover in Tokyo ?
    And, how does one book online to leverage the stopover rule ? Or, does one need to call the airline ?

Newscience likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless otherwise specified the limit is only the validity of the ticket, meaning a year from issuance.

FI (Icelandair) includes an explicit limit on their stopover length:
    Code:
    Stopover restrictions
      1 STOPOVER PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION IN REK.
         A STOPOVER MAY NOT EXCEED 177 HOURS.
             NOTE -
              STOPOVER IS 7 DAYS/177 HOURS IS TO ALLOW FOR
              FI FLIGHT SCHEDULE
    You should be able to book online and the system should know to allow the stopover. It doesn't always work perfectly and sometimes there is a reason, such as a HIP check which bumps the price up even though it is "just a stopover" so no guarantees.

Newscience and anileze like this.
  3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    So unless there is an explicit HIP check mentioned in the rules for a particular farebasis, one should be able to stopover for say 2-3 weeks ?

Attached Files:

Newscience likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what you've included there a stop in Tokyo should cost you $100 and it should be valid so long as you meet the limit of 90 days for the total trip length.

If you put your desired dates into ITA and select flights what does it show for the fare construction? And keep in mind that it is possible multi-city is cheaper than r/t with a stopover.

Newscience, WilliamQ and anileze like this.