Decided to try out Windows Phone (Lumia 900)

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by adambadam, Apr 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used an iPhone since the original came out almost five years ago. I realized that I have never spent any time on what have become the other two big operating systems (WP7 and Android) in that time. Last night I went out and purchased the new Nokia Lumia 900. I think most would call this the current WP7 flagship device. The reviews have been very solid for the device and at $450 w/o contract it is fairly cheap to boot, IMO.

If there are any other Windows Phone users on this forum I would love to get some tips and tricks as I try to start navigating the device or if there are some solutions to the problems I have found with it below.

Here are my initial thoughts:
    • The phone itself is solid. It has a nice build and while it is a little larger than I would like is not as big in my pocket as I thought it would be. Not a fan of the dedicated camera button as I just don't use it very much. Of course LTE is a nice jump in speed as well.
    • The screen is decent, though noticeably worse than the last two iPhones. This is especially true when I am trying to read text in IE or in emails.
    • IE is just garbage compared to Mobile Safari. Text renders horribly and it seems slower as I move around pages and as they load (wifi vs wifi). Also I don't like how there is no back button. Now I know there is the hardware back button though if I leave IE and go to respond to a text. Then look something up on a map, and then go back to IE, I can't go back to the previous webpage because if I hit back it takes me back to the maps. It is also really annoying that you can't lock the screen rotation. If the screen rotates you have to hunt for the back button which is now in a new location because it affixed to the hardware.
    • Is there any way in mail to get photos/html to automatically download?
    • Call quality is very good I think.
    • With that said, the system has a really stupid, what I would call a bug, where if you turn down sounds so that you don't hear the keyboard clicking or angry birds chirping, you can't hear sound in apps where you obviously need sounds. For example, I have to turn up the sound back up to hear a visual voicemail or use Skype even, (I am not using the speaker in this case even).
    • I don't like how you can be half in an app. It creates a very bizarre and inconsistent user experience so far. To illustrate, if I search something, say "Mexican food in San Francisco", Bing will give me a list of restaurants. I can then click on one and select to see the reviews in the Yelp app. However while I am in Yelp, I am not int the full Yelp app instead just some little portion of it that will only show me Mexican food places. I can't hit something to now quickly search something new in Yelp, I have to back out and search through Bing or go and open the full Yelp app.
    I am not going to abandon ship just yet. I think I will give a full week with the phone to see how it works out before I make the ultimate decision of holding on to it or sending it back to the store.

sobore likes this.
  2. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    I look forward to future reviews/updates. Overall, I am a fan of Nokia products. My last phone was an e71x. (loved the camera on it but didnt like the Internet interface). I currently have an iPhone 3GS. And while I hear the 4s is amazing I don't think I need it.

It sounds like this new Nokia and its Internet features aren't quite up to speed. The windows people keep trying but I don't know if they will make something up to match or exceed the iPhone.

YULtide likes this.
  3. FrankieC

FrankieC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually replaced my blackberry with a Lumia 900. Now going away from blackberry after having had just about every model since they released their phones has been traumatic, but I just didn't see them staying relevant much longer.

I like how solid the phone is as well, even though it's larger it is fairly thin. When it comes to typing I find it easier than my iPhone, maybe just because it's wider I can type on the screen with less issues. IE has been garbage so far, I don't really know why they can't solve that issue like every other mobile browser in the world. The back button is a bit off in terms of what you said, moving between IE pages and other apps.

The app multi-tasking is designed to take up very little resources, and so you have those weird cases where it's halfway in an application, or when you're inputting something into one application and go to the home screen and back sometimes it's gone. It's gotten better from previous Windows Mobile devices I've seen but it's not there yet.

In my mind it's better than the Android devices I've tried, but it's not up to iPhone status yet. I do like that I've never had a case where apps or e-mail is slow, and I've seen that on the iPhone4 at least quite a bit with syncing mail. I've also not been happy with battery life, if I use the phone I can get a good 8-10 hours of use out of it. If I don't use the phone and have the screen off, then I can get 12-14 hours. I don't know why the drain is the same.

I do know there's lots coming for the Windows Phone platform, unfortunately most of that will be with Windows Phone 8, and so far they have said there will not be any upgrades available.

If I had to choose one I'd stay with the iPhone, I have one for work so I figure I'm covered either way...

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How's it in the "Chick Magnet" department? :D

cliq and FrankieC like this.
  5. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got an older Windows Phone 7 (LG E900) that I think is great. Granted, it's my first smart phone so I don't have a lot to compare to.

As far as the app switching, there's the ability to do fast app-switching: If you want to switch between two apps, instead of backing out of an app just hit the start button to open a new app, or hold the back button to switch between already open apps (a menu screen will pop up to show you all the running apps). If you switch between apps that way then it generally "saves" your spot better (though it relies on the app developer properly implementing the fast app-switching features) and entered text will usually remain, and it will remember what page you are on.

The feature I really like are the live-tiles... Especially the ability (for some apps) to pin tiles to specific pages within apps. e.g. I love having a tile that goes straight to one of my OneNote notebooks instead of having to navigate the Office App. Also, I have tiles on my start page that go straight to certain blogs in my RSS reader.

FrankieC likes this.
  6. FrankieC

FrankieC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that, I didn't know you could setup a tile to a OneNote notebook, will check that out as I use that often.

7. FrankieC

FrankieC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will have to try that line out...

8. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I ended up taking the phone back to the store. It wasn't cutting it for me. I wanted to like it though I kept thinking about how so many of the gripes I had have either been baked into iOS since the first iPhone or have been added to iOS in subsequent releases and I started to wonder why I would put up with it on WP7. Perhaps WP8 will fix some of the problems.

Biggest gripes:No way to lock the screen rotation. Back button had unintuitive functions (sometimes it takes you the previous screen immediately, other times it takes you a step back in an app first), the ability to be half in an app and to suspend a session of an app and never get back to it unless you navigate correctly (for example, if you are writing a text message and halfway though you realize you need to go look something up. You hit the Windows key, go to the browser, search, find the info you need. If you hit the Windows key again, then hit messages, then the persons name, the message you were typing has been deleted. If instead you hit the back button once you find the information in the browser however many times to get back to the message you were typing, your message is still there). I felt like I was constantly scrolling to reach apps or through all the tiles, I wish you could have multiple pages of tiles/apps. The sound function (see second to last bullet in first post).

I really liked the material the phone was made out of and while I can understand how a larger screen can be nice, I really think the 3.5" screen of the iPhone is a sweet spot, however.

9. cliq

cliq Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the iPhone but for so many reasons I will take a WP or Andy over it any day. Sad to hear you didn't like the Lumia 900... Anxiously waiting foe it here in Nokialandia! :D