Decent PPM w/ Award Accelerator?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TrueNorthNurse, Jan 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Is .025 cents per mile a pretty decent price? United's offering me 35502 additional miles on a YYZ-BKK return for $888.00.

Thanks in advance -

Matt

YULtide likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing you really mean .025 dollars per mile, or 2.5 cents per mile. ;)

That's about as low as the RDMs get without a promo. As to whether it is good or not, that depends on what you're going to redeem them for and what the value is there.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you need the miles to top off your account for a specific award? Then go for it.

OTOH, to simply add to an account, ask yourself what would be the cost to purchase a ticket that you might get with these miles. 35K is more than a normal domestic coach award ticket, which would normally cost considerably less than$800 to purchase. Can you find a better metric which is relevant to how you might use the miles?

4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that included an Elite Accelerator, then it would be incredibly cheap. My guess is that it is just regular RDM miles (no elite status help), in which case it is not worth it (imho). The question you might ask yourself to help make your personal decision would be, "Where can I go for 35,000 miles that would be a bargain at $888.00?"

I can always find plenty of MRs for less than the current $0.10/mile that they are charging for the Elite Accelerator. Lots of people are quoting that option at $0.125/mile, but that actually includes the RDMs @ $0.025 + EQMs @ $0.10/mile.

Elite Accelerator revenue has to be the greatest marketing idea since FF loyalty programs have started. I have used them, so I'm not casting any stones, but the truth is that we are paying the airline for a possible perk in the following year. What a dangling carrot concept. Even if we one day get to taste the carrot, they have used our money for months prior to providing any service at all.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually just checked and it is showing up as $0.125 per mile per EQM on Co.com

6. Ahh. I was considering where I'd go when I add the 35k miles to the miles I'll earn in F on the round trip. I suppose I should consider them separately for a true comparison. And yes, they're not EQMs.

Thanks

Matt

YULtide likes this.