December travel to the middle East

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Jul 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking for 3 business class tickets for my parents and grandma in the beginning of December from ORD-TLV...I have both United and AA points but can't seem to find much...any help would be great!

Thanks

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can use your AA miles on Iberia: there are quite a few dates in Dec with 3 business class seats available for ORD-TLV. It can be convenient to use the Qantas website to look for those OW awards. Btw, I hope your folks don't plan to spend much time outdoors - TLV weather in Dec can be miserable.

3. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been using the BA site to look for space on BA or IB. It can be balky, but is convenient when it works and seems accurate. I'll have to try the QF site as comparison.

In addition to AA, BA, and IB flights to LHR or MAD and BA or IB flights to TLV, you can also use AA miles for El Al flights, but I don't think you can hunt for these on AA or BA's sites. I think EF shows them (and if so would be able to alert you if one opens up on a preferred date or flight). Also, award space might be Y only and you want J.

There may be Air Berlin flights; I haven't checked. But I hear their current J isn't very nice.

Sent from my iPod Touch using milepoint

Flying Bat likes this.
  4. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is EF?

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    ExpertFlyer

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would look on British Airways. Their tatl availability in forward cabins is the best of any major.

Their website works reasonably well for award searches, but for best results, search segment by segment (search ORD-lhr, lhr-TLV), etc.

You can then redeem your AA points for travel on BA.

One more of disclosure, BA hits you with some bona fide government taxes plus some other-than-trivial fuel surcharges. They are the essentially highest of any carriers', but a small price to pay perhaps for the best availability.

As a second alternative, you could look at using double-miles awards on UA. For double the regular miles amount, you get close to last seat availability on UA flights. (If you're an elite cardholder, you get last seat availability.) They have non-stop service from ewr to TLV. It is more miles, but you can get exactly the flights you want. For three people traveling long haul together in December, that may be the way to go.

Please let us know what course you undertake.

7. adamhoolhorst

adamhoolhorst Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's ORD-AUH on Etihad as well using AA points, but you would have to connect on to TLV.

8. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting comment on AirBerlin.

1. Anyone else here concur that AB J does not make the cut?
    2. Does AB availability show up as 'a partner' using the Avios award scheme - I check the routings quite frequently on Avios but I have NEVER seen AB as an option.

9. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    The BA site has shown me award options that include AB flights.

10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Expertflyer is a web site offering a number of services that are quite handy for the FF crowd, such as the ability to see inventory for flights, flight details, seat maps, etc. They also show award and upgrade availability on some carriers. They have a very handy alert service where you can be notified by email and/or SMS when revenue, award, or upgrade inventory is at least X or less than X. There is a free trial available.