Dec 15 Hyatt.com Update

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by bbernahl, Dec 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bbernahl

bbernahl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bill from E-Commerce here. I wanted to announce a few changes we've just made to Hyatt.com to the community here.

1) Redesigned the brand sites
    We've redesigned the brand sites and extended them to cover all brands. Before, some brands like GrandHyatt.com had no brand sites. We've also cleaned up the navigation to/from the brand sites. Of particular note, there are now maps showing hotels around the world as part of the brand sites and we've also extended the brand sites to be available in all 8 core languages (English, Spanish, french, German, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese and Korean). I say "brand sites" but actually the "sites" are now just sections of Hyatt.com. Also, we've removed use of flash on these sites so they now run fully on iPhones and iPads.

2) Refreshed the home page
    We've done a minor clean up of the home page to simplify it a bit, consolidate self service items, reduce the number of promotions but provide a bit more space for each promotion. While the images are bigger, the page actually loads faster.

3) Hyatt Summerfield Suites is combining with Hotel Sierra to become Hyatt House. To support this, we've updated the brand and the property sites to reflect this.

4) Added the ability to search for hotels by address or point of interest (e.g., “71 s wacker, chicago il”, "UCLA", “Orchard Road”, “Sydney harbor bridge”, “Disneyland”).

Other things in the works:
    - We'll be releasing a 1.1 version of the iPhone app soon that will remove some limitations around # of reservations, improve mapping, handle some of the complex bookings people on FT often create, and make some other minor improvements.
    - We're also working to improve the speed of search (especially in large markets of for long stay searches) and dramatically improve the photo gallery.

We appreciate your loyalty to Hyatt. Please stay tuned for more enhancements.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for the update. It's really nice to see Hyatt reps at many levels participate here.

One of the things that frustrates me a bit about the Hyatt site is that I cannot search for award availability without having the number of points in my account that are necessary for the reservation. Instead I get

• You currently do not have have the required points available for the award you have selected. For assistance, please contact Gold Passport Customer Service at 1-866-557-6670 or your nearest Worldwide Reservation Center.
    That seems like an unnecessary validation. Imagine I have just about enough points for the award I am looking for and would be willing to buy points or transfer them from my wife's account if only I knew for sure there was availability. Why make me call in for something this simple (and common, based on the questions here and on FT).
    Note that I am not asking to allow me to book a room without the necessary points. While that would be -- if done with moderation -- quite useful as well, I understand that there might be policies not allowing that. Just let me see if there is availability. Any chance this could be implemented? (I assume it would be straightforward; just remove the validation forcing the account balance to be >= award cost)

3. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:

I look forward to this! Many rooms are lacking photos, while some will only display a close-up on the sink, pillow, or a bottle of portico.. Not very helpful when trying to decide which room to book.

[​IMG] :td:

[​IMG] :thumbs up:

Jubileesmom and Scottrick like this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing is more frustrating than a hotel photo that really tells you nothing about the hotel or its rooms. Scientific publications have to use representatives of their data sometimes, and I'll look at them and think, is that really the BEST photo they could find? Just how bad were the photos they didn't include?

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Never run into this specific problem, but I definitely see why this could be frustrating. I think this question came up when Jeff spoke during SMD3.

Another suggestion might be to have some sort of validation surrounding time the account has been opened and/or balance of points. If someone has been a member of the program for X amount of time and has earned X points, it should be clear that they are loyal enough to the program in terms of disclosing this info.

Jubileesmom and From NYC like this.
  6. bbernahl

bbernahl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for the update. It's really nice to see Hyatt reps at many levels participate here.

One of the things that frustrates me a bit about the Hyatt site is that I cannot search for award availability without having the number of points in my account that are necessary for the reservation. Instead I get

• You currently do not have have the required points available for the award you have selected. For assistance, please contact Gold Passport Customer Service at 1-866-557-6670 or your nearest Worldwide Reservation Center.
    That seems like an unnecessary validation. Imagine I have just about enough points for the award I am looking for and would be willing to buy points or transfer them from my wife's account if only I knew for sure there was availability. Why make me call in for something this simple (and common, based on the questions here and on FT).

Note that I am not asking to allow me to book a room without the necessary points. While that would be -- if done with moderation -- quite useful as well, I understand that there might be policies not allowing that. Just let me see if there is availability. Any chance this could be implemented? (I assume it would be straightforward; just remove the validation forcing the account balance to be >= award cost)[/quote]
    Bill from E-Commerce here.
    HaveMilesWillTravel, This is something we're looking at now as we plan to update the booking engine.

7. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

YULtide likes this.
  8. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 also