Debit/check card recommendations?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by viguera, Mar 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm late to this whole thing and trying to find different ways to boost my mileage intake... obviously this seems like an "underused" option as I use my debit card a lot -- much more than my credit cards.

I've been digging through the forums and it seems like Chase is no longer a viable option. I believe that leaves SunTrust, BankDirect and Citibank (who I haven't seen mentioned much here). I think BofA used to offer something but I no longer see it on their site.

So my questions are...

* Am I missing any other options?
    * I've read a few threads about SunTrust, although I can't find out whether or not I can actually use them since I live in a non-SunTrust state
    * Does anybody have anything particular to say about Citibank's AAdvantageCard debit card? https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/pands/detail.do?ID=AAdvantageCard

BankDirect seems to offer miles for leaving your money there, but not for actually using the card... unless I'm not understanding how their program works.

I'm only leaning towards Citi now because they're everywhere and I can just walk into a branch tomorrow and open/close an account or make a deposit (rather than have to deal with ACH/mailing checks/whatever).

The Citi "Premium" account earns $1 per mile and you can find ways around the $8/month basic checking account fee, even if the annual fee for the card is kind of high ($65).

Any thoughts, anything I missed?

Thanks in advance.

Tenmoc likes this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the new U.S. banking law passed last year, the fees banks can charge for using debit cards have been reduced. So, they are all either getting away from giving miles for debits or reducing what they give drastically. So, yes you are too late to the game. I doubt that you are missing much that is available any more.

betanet likes this.
  3. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    The U.S. Bank Flex Perks check card isn't horrible. You basically get 2% cashback toward travel. You may have to call them to get it though, as it looks like they are about to nix it. But you can still be grandfathered in, I bet.

4. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a SunTrust card and don't live in a state that has any branches. Have had the card for about a year and no problems.

I have a portion of my paycheck automatically deposited into SunTrust and also have it linked to my primary checking account and transfer funds over as needed.

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    First question is why don't you use your credit card all the time? My wife and I NEVER use a debit card except 5 times a month so we don't get a fee ding from Chase (and even for those 5 times, we make sure that the debit is a max of $5.). Sign up bonus' for credit cards are much better than any debit card - any you can choose what miles you want to earn.

As for Citi, I had accounts with them for some time but wound up taking my money out. Had a horrible experience trying to get the sign up bonus. Needed to call 4 or 5 times. Once I got the bonus, the monthly points seemed to post OK.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I already have a Citi AAdvantage card and Capital One, but oddly enough I prefer debit and rarely use credit. My guess it's just that I need to train myself to do it... :)

One thing that I will ALWAYS use debit for though is gas... I'm already paying over $4 a gallon here in CT when paying "cash" (with debit) and it's easily a few hundred dollars a month. Credit is about $4.25 or higher in the area.

8. He's right--debit deals for miles are a thing of the past now--Im surprised any bank still offers signup bonuses knowing that they will have to stop giving miles for spend soon enough. Unless theyre counting on this law being overturned.

Looks like youre gonna have to join the credit card bunch soon =).

miles and smiles likes this.
  9. PoorMansBidet
    Original Member

PoorMansBidet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never heard of a gas station charging more for Credit vs. Debit (although i believe you). You aren't actually giving the gas station "Cash". They are paying visa a different interchange fee but are still reviving money from the bank the same way as if you used a credit card.

Difference here is you are deducting "Cash" directly out of your account and giving it to the bank. Rather then paying at the end of the month.

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh no... the days of cash vs. credit came and went, but they're back in force because credit card fees are killing these merchants. Paying debit (with a PIN) is cheaper than paying credit (at least for gas) around here. Sometimes it's not much (and I guess using a gas card with miles/points rewards would help) but I just figured I'm giving away miles by using debit.

[​IMG]