Dear IHG Management (an open letter)

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by daninstl, Dec 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dear IHG Management:

I'm sure you don't care about me. I'd like to say that we are breaking up due to my fault but really it's you and not me. I've taken some punishment over the years to stay loyal. Remember that night at the Matteson Illinois location that was actually shut down for renovation but not really. Or how about all those noisy nights at the Mattoon HIX. Sure the breakfast didn't start until 6:30am and I had to leave at 6am but that's OK. The white noise from the semi trucks lulled me to sleep each night next to the Wal-mart.

It wasn't all bad though. I remember the beautiful room at the IC in Rome and how nice the staff was or how about the family vacations at Pensacola Beach (I'm sorry they built a Margaritaville next door and ruined it for you). All those 100's of nights and spend on my IHG card do bring back memories. I appreciate the minor upgrades as an Ambassador and also Platinum. Well maybe not lack the of same on reward nights especially on those family trips to see Grandma near the Candlewood in Springfield. I also want to thank you for taking care of me over the years when I needed it. Like the ice bath in the middle of the night at the Crowne Plaza Metro Greek Town after the 2007 Chicago Marathon or the front desk cookies at times.

Anyway I will continue to stay a few more times to use up my points but the time has come for us to part ways. I will move my stuff to another chain as soon as I can to get out of your way.

I should have picked up on the quiet messages during the ironically named "Into the Night" Promo where you "Expected" me to stay 19 nights for such a minor number of loyalty points. Sorry I'm so dense and didn't catch on until today when I saw the 20 night requirement for 14,000 points for the new "Set your Sights" promo. I guess you've "set your sights" on younger, newer, less loyal folks. I just want to you to know that the grass isn't always greener. Sure there will be some fun one night stands that you'll pay for like a whore as they do the walk of shame down your halls only to brag to fellow points hackers. I hope you enjoy it while it lasts. As the famous philosopher Alanis Morissette once said: "I want you to know, that I'm happy for you, I wish nothing but the best for you both".

I just hope in your future relationships you can try to remember what Loyalty means. It seems like a requirement in a "Loyalty" program you'd think.

Sincerely,
    Daniel Luttrell

iolaire, Lionell, Rosalia and 5 others like this.
  2. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    They expect me to stay in a Resort or Vacation thingy... they are all in the US it seems.

... and I live in Japan :rolleyes:

Rosalia and daninstl like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So? They expect me to stay at two properties in two different foreign countries. (incidentally, I just came back from one last week). You could come to the US for vacation. :)

daninstl likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess this is the downside of economic prosperity... I remember when IHG had so many stackable promos that you could make tens of thousands of points from a single stay, sometimes from a couple of nights at the most.

Somewhere along the way they decided to switch to this new "task-based" reward system, which might not be all that bad if it was actually rewarding.

Lionell, Rosalia and daninstl like this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't fall for it. "Players" always want to take dates to exotic resorts to they can take advantage of you :)

Rosalia likes this.
  6. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right...will not play the game this time...
    They did not upgrade my ITN dashboard, No points added in my account, and I still can't open the "bonus key" at the end of the promotion.
    They better fix things properly before offering again and again new promotions pushing people to spend money staying more often in their hotels...
    BASTA...We are not so dumm !!!!!

Lionell and daninstl like this.
  7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't get this bitterness. Maybe it's because I've never been loyal to IHG. Or maybe it's that I'm a "points hacker". I took IHG up on the Big Win, but the subsequent customized offers have not been particularly tempting. Which is fine with me. I'm not bitter about their choice to offer me something unappealing nor their choice to offer others more interesting promos. So it goes. I shrug it off and move on.

What's wrong with trying to drive incremental spending and attempting to win a few converts?

I think of these offers much like I think of status matches or fast track promos: while I might be sad that I didn't get the special treat, I don't begrudge hotels attempting to win new (or extra) business. In fact, I think it's sort of a cool innovation.

daninstl and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't get me wrong. I am bitter and obviously trying to be funny here as well. I get the business model and why they do it the way they do it to attract new customers. My problem isn't with the offers they give to those that never stay there it's that those that stay with them and give them tons of money on a monthly basis get such horrible offers. I've seen a few out there on this latest promo where you could basically do a mattress run over one weekend and earn 50k points while I get the stay 20 nights and I get 14k offer for being super loyal. It's' just SO far off it make me upset and bitter. I might be able to deal with it if it was infrequent or a one time deal. The problem for me is that I got an offer of like stay 17 nights on the Big Win one last Spring then the into the night one I got 19 nights as just one element I needed to get a decent bonus and not I get the latest one and it's for 20 nights for 14k. I assume it will only get worse so I'm done. I've stayed many 100's of nights at IHG and used to brag about them to people. Not so much anymore.

Lionell likes this.
  9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Loyalty" doesn't mean giving away the house. Promos are typically designed to stimulate extra activity, not to give away the house. If a program treats me well, I stick with it. Promos are nice gravy. But sometimes you don't want gravy, or shouldn't eat the gravy. And sometimes, the gravy isn't a flavo(u)r you like.

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can understand the drive to get new business, but that doesn't necessarily mean focus on new customers... they could easily make it more appealing to me to choose IHG over a competitor, and I'm a proven customer, so reward me for my loyalty rather than just try to attract the new guy.

This is the same gripe that has created such a high churn rate with cell phone companies, and that they're now trying to stop. They used to appeal exclusively to new customers, offering free/cheap high end subsidized phones in exchange for "loyalty" in the form of a 2 year contract.

That's only going to work but for so long... if I've been with your chain for years and I continue to requalify for top tier status, I shouldn't feel like you place more value on the guy that's with another chain, or the new customer that you want to attract, simply because I'm a sure thing and they're not.

IHG assumes that because I put 50 nights with them this year that I'm going to do the same next year, so they throw me a bone and expect me to be happy with the perks I already have, while telling me that if I want something extra I need to put in 20 nights -- which to them it looks like it shouldn't be a big issue because I'm "guaranteed" to put in 50.

What I'd like to see is them properly scale the bonus offers, not just the amount of work. If a regular bottom tier Club member gets an offer of 5 nights / 50k points I'm ok with that, but then go ahead and offer me 10 nights / 100k points, or 20 nights / 200k points. Don't just make me worth harder for the same reward or less, actually give me something worth my time, because I might start considering switching my loyalty elsewhere where it's more rewarding.

11. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might and you might not. They're willing to take a risk, and can always target you for something better. I think you summed it up by saying "because I might start considering..."

Lionell, daninstl and traveltoomuch like this.