Dear Gate Agent...

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Photonerd71, May 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dear Gate Agent,

If you don't actually make any kind of announcement on which group you are boarding and just start letting everybody board, please don't get annoyed at those of us with priority boarding who try to board with the rest of the herd. And yes, if you close the "general boarding" line and only open the "priority boarding" line everybody is going to use that line.

But on a side note, the folks who got in line literally 30 min before boarding made me chuckle.

No, I'm not really irritated, i still enjoy flying, just passing the time while the masses board.

Thanks
    A happy flyer

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Havent flow much in Spain, Italy or China much have you?:)

perryplatypus likes this.
  3. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    I have spent a grand total of 0 minutes in any airport in Spain, Italy or China. (Though Hong Kong is ob my short list for my January birthday vacation trip)

4. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Update to my "open letter".

The GA at DFW this am did a wonderful job of taking control and directing traffic during the boarding process. He didn't let anybody pass him unless he had called their group. (Even turned away a "priority access" member because he had only called up to platinum. )

Bravo.

5. Redhead

Redhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish more Gate Agents were like this. And this is even though I will be falling from EXP (after 5 years) to Plat (thank god for lifetime!) in Feb 2013.

6. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    What puzzles me is why can't AA have standardized procedures.

Every airport I fly through seems to be different, most likely left the gate agents' mood. (I just did ORD, DEL, LHR, SFO, LAX, LAS, PHX, EWR, NRT in recent months).

This is not a complaint, just an observation.

7. Photonerd71

Status Points:

Can't speak to those but SFO and DFW were the same. My trip home yesterday they both went...1st class, EXP, plat, priority access (this is when i boarded, so i can only assume groups after).

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I haven't really seen many issues with boarding order, for me or when watching other flights board.

9. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you search the term "gate lice", you'd see ample proof that people are confused about Priority Access lanes---and those are not extreme novices but low tier elites. At DEL, in an extreme case of each airport doing its own thing, AA used to board non-elites before elites, and economy before premium cabins. So the lack of a standard corporate policy is quite obvious.

Of course, with a combination of status and attention to what is going on, one can deal with it. In that sense it is not such a big deal.

perryplatypus and anabolism like this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you seriously suggesting I've never heard the term or seen "gate lice" before? :confused::D

They aren't unique to AA in any way, shape, or form. It doesn't change my observation at all though - when I board AA flights or when I see AA flights boarding in my frequent travels, the majority of AA GAs follow AA's stated boarding procedures. Not always, but most often. It doesn't seem like an endemic problem from what I've managed to view.

I've taken the AA DEL flight previously, and I did board after the main cabin in those instances. DEL's additional security screening presents a unique experience though, which boarding in a different order aims to address for priority passengers. So that was, as you point out, standard procedure for AA at DEL. With that in mind, I don't view that as a glaring example of AA's lack of a standard as it's a unique experience at a single location with a plausible explanation for the deviation.

Of course, everyone's experience with AA is unique, so yours may include more GAs who deviate from procedure, I don't think that's reason enough to break out a broad brush to paint the entire company though, which is why I offered my personal experience as another data point. Which, in the end, is all we have. Individual data points that don't really show us the real picture. :)

11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    The branding "Priority Access" is a significant contributor to the problem, because it encourages people to lump together everyone eligible, and think in terms of a two-stage boarding: PA and general.

It would help a lot if the "Priority Access' sign listed in numbered order the eligible groups. That would make it clear who boards when.

When there are electronic signs, I think it would be great if the signs listed the group presently boarding, and underneath, smaller, said "Next: " and the next group.

Aktchi and perryplatypus like this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This would be something that might help out a bit. There will always be the "gate lice" and confused novice traveler, but big bright signs might assist a bit. Then again, with all the big, bright signs we see every day, it might just be white noise, too. :cool:

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cleared standby on a DFW-AUS last week while they were boarding Group 3. I went around the line, through PA, and down the ramp. Behind me I hear the GA in a raised voice "because he's priority access!" I can only imagine what caused that... :)

OceanBreezes and _kurt like this.
  14. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I consistently see both Priority Access and General lanes setup however I've often seen one or the other blocked and that causes issues as mentioned previously. When both are open I generally see boarding proceed as I'd expect. If I arrive at the gate during general I use the priority lane with minimal fuss.

I also see different boarding groups being called often. Flying on Friday evening 1st and Military were called initially, then EP, Plat and Gold all at once, then presumably General (I was down the bridge by then). This afternoon 1st, Military and EP were called for the initial boarding group.

OceanBreezes likes this.