Dear fellow passenger...

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by igloocoder, Oct 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I figured that I can't be the only one who wishes to pass advice on to passengers that are around me. Sometimes people do or say things that are just baffling and while we know that smacking them upside the head isn't going to go down well, we also rarely say anything. Here's where I'm hoping to vent a my dismay, disgust and discontent with my fellow passengers.

JohnDeere19 and Gaucho like this.
  2. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...seated in 6F on AC875 Oct 15th. Your upgrade cleared, but your wife's didn't. It was nice of you to make her sit in the back instead of being a gentleman and doing so yourself. It was even nicer that you asked the FA to take some pre-departure bubbly back to her yet couldn't remember the seat she was sitting in. The pièce de résistance was that you never once got out of your seat to go visit her through the whole flight.

All I want to say is thank you for making me look like the greatest of gentlemen. I love it when I have such a low bar to meet.

3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for that. Yes some people are just plain stupid. I sure hope his wife thanked him appropriately.

[From my milePoint enabled iPhone]

Gaucho, rwoman, catgirl and 1 other person like this.
  4. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like making him sleep on the couch? ;)

rwoman, catgirl and ACMM like this.
  5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    That pax loves to push the envelope to the edge. :eek:

Selfish SOB.

rwoman and catgirl like this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Possibly in a hotel room! rather than at home!

milchap, rwoman, goalie and 1 other person like this.
  7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend at work mentioned to me about how grateful she was that this time her bf was going to spring for an upgrade for her on their flight, which was better than last time when he was in First and she was in coach! :eek: I said he was a cheeky bugger for doing that and she said, in hindsight it was pretty rude of him to do so. (They can afford to fly in First! and he could have upgraded her, but did not think it was 'worth' it!)

BTW, I must confess, I booked reward flights for my sister and her children in UA First/AC Exec and a paid ticket for my BIL (in coach). When I told her she asked me if I could upgrade him as he she thought he would whine until she gave him her Exec seat. :mad:

8. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    My husband and I started trading off when there is only one upgrade...we are both AA EXP. Our previous plan was either both of us or neither, but we have passed up a ton of upgrades because there was only one available. One time a FA came back and said she was so impressed that we did not take the upgrade...the man took it for the other couple. I would bypass them all if he deferred to me all the time...which is what he would normally do...he is tall and can use the legroom much more. Now, at least one of us gets the upgrade when there is only one left by alternating. So, I would not mind it at all if he was in 1st with me in coach when it is his turn...would have loved him sending back some bubbly :).

9. I always buy my wife a J ticket because she has no status and I am a 2mm and SE. But if I was ever denied an upgrade my wife would insist on me taking the J seat because I am physically much bigger than her, she doesn't drink and eats like a sparrow.
    My point is not to judge a book by its cover.

unclepants, joesmoe, SC Flier and 6 others like this.
  10. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mrs. Italy sits upfront even when she doesn't get the UG. She tries to persuade me to take F as I am taller, and my constant reply is "I've been in F more than she will be, so she should enjoy the experience". Never had a complaint upon arriving at our destination. :)

cordray2643 and joesmoe like this.
  11. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully the edge is sharp and gives him a papercut. :D

joesmoe likes this.
  12. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to admit that we have been on flights where Mr Toula has been seated up front and I'm down the back. I'm fine with it, I'm glad that at least one of us gets to partake of the upgrade. The way I look at it is he puts in the hard yards to earn the status and he is much taller than I am.

OceanBreezes and Exit Row like this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I ever had this situation it would definitely be Ms. ACMM up front.

[From my milePoint enabled iPhone]

2MM_Guy likes this.
  14. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a conversation about this with The Charming +1 the other night. She was of the mindset that they were e-upgrade credits that I earned thus I should be the one who benefits from them. While there is some merit to that argument, I would never allow her to sit in the back while I sat in the front. She would argue that the extra 10" in height that I have over her should see me in the front. There is merit in that argument as well. I would still insist on it being her. The simple reason being that I fly in the front a lot more than she does. This had made most of the experiences mundane for me (with the exception of F of course). For her, up front is still a place of mystery and intrigue. I always get a smile during boarding from people who get to their J seat for the first time ever. The excitement that they exude is awesome. Why shouldn't that be something The Charming +1 experiences to? Its certainly better than me sitting their all grumpy because they haven't come by to hang my jacket yet.

15. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can I add a fellow passenger rant? I have 3 experiences from flying coach across the Atlantic I would never like to repeat.
    1) do not slip your dirty bare foot out of your sandal and rest it on my aisle armrest, I do not need to smell your feet for 8 hours.
    2) do not leave your wife in charge of 3 children under the age of 5 (all seated in the middle row) while you sleep in a widow seat for almost the entirety of the 8 hour flight.
    3) think about what you are eating and the effect it will have on your body while you are in the plane, a diet of fruit and veggies may be healthy but whatever you packed that spilled all over your bag also polluted the air of those around you.

16. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems to me that each individual couple will come to its own decision based on its own logic. As long as the decision is one that comes from mutual respect and love toward the other, rather than greed on the part of one partner, then I'd say it's a valid decision. It could be taking turns, or the taller one, or the one for whom J is more of a novelty, or whoever is more tired, or whoever has the closest birthday, or.... As to the details of that decision, I can only judge my own (made in consultation with Mrs YULtide, of course!)

yaychemistry, Toula and milchap like this.
  17. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, interesting subject. When there's only one upgrade to be had, I give it to my darling spouse, who flies much less than I do and is still quite enthralled with the experience of air travel. It's a small cost for having a happy, relaxed, cheery trip home together.

18. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    As this is the first full year of being Elite I don't have a lifetime of experience. But this year my wife has taken all the upgrades when there was only 1 to be had. Of course as she was pregnant for most of the year it seemed like 1) the right thing to do and 2) the non-suicidal thing to do.

19. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never upset she who must be obeyed! :D

20. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    rehoult, sounds like good reasons!

21. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Discretion is the better part of valour. :D

22. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have declined op-ups from business to first on longhaul when my partner flies with me because she would prefer to sit with me in business rather than her in First with me in business. The LH/LX agents have looked at us a little strangely for declining a complimentary opup to First, however if there is not space for both to sit in F then we tend to both end up in C (as she prefers....;))

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd probably send my wife to F in that case if the agent allows (I have higher status than my wife) so that she gets to experience LH F. With UA C/F I think we probably prefer to stay together.

That said, the only time I faced the "only one of us can get F" situation was on Continental's island hopper from HNL to GUM via four or five little south pacific islands. It's only domestic F on a 737, but it's a rather lengthy flight broken into many segments. Ironically, Continental's computer gave my 1P wife the upgrade ahead of her 1K spouse, so she "earned" it. It worked out perfectly because I had exit row window (and for the most part, the entire row to myself) and while separated, we both got to enjoy the amazing views. And during the stop-overs we met on the tarmac to look around. For the last segment she asked the purser if it was okay for us to swap seats, and so I got to fly a little bit in F comfort.

24. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always offer to send her- but she prefers we sit together. She has flown with me a few times on both LH and LX in F and she says it is the same as C for her- although she really likes the Swiss PJs and has built up quite the collection over the years...

canucklehead likes this.
  25. SYM
    Original Member

SYM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back to the spirit of this thread. A very minor complaint, but it happens all the time, and the whole point of the thread was to vent. Dear seatmate: you watched me put my bag in the overhead bin beside yours a few hours ago when we boarded. I can appreciate that you are anxious to get off the plane now that we've arrived. So you want to squeeze past me, push into the aisle, take down your bag, and then wait for the rows ahead of you to clear. Fair enough. I'm happy to remain comfortably seated for the moment. Why have you closed the bin door after removing your bag? Do you think it is my intention to remain in my seat indefinitely? Do you think I have decided to leave my bag behind on the aircraft? Is there some reason why "May I pass you your bag" does not seem the appropriate thing to say?

2MM_Guy, mevlannen, TRAVELSIG and 4 others like this.