Dear fellow ORD UA First Lounge Pax

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Sep 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I moved as far away as possible from where you are sitting even though I'd rather have continued to use my laptop at the table i was sitting at, and still I can hear every one of your surely very important words you are blabbering non-stop into your cellphone. I can't understand them, because I don't speak your language, but it's nevertheless ANNOYING to have to hear you for 15+ minutes now. Have you not noticed the annoyed stares from other pax around you? I am very tempted to pour myself a nice big Guinness and stumble over some imaginary thing on the floor as I am passing your table.

kwidhalm, demkr, lili and 6 others like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should have posted this on FT. I suspect he/she would be a user there, not here! ;)

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Teh offender is probably speaking Deutsch so post this on one of their blogs...

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, definitely wasn't German.

You won't believe it, but shortly after my post the guy moved (with his friend) all the way across the room and plomped himself down in the seat next to me (he was finally off the phone). I shortly thereafter returned to my original seat.

On a side note... That International First lounge is very unimpressive. Was my first visit. The SFO one isn't great, but overall a lot nicer. This one feels like a RCC with slightly more food and a self-service bar.

5. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    I share your annoyance & frustration with loud, obnoxious phone-talkers in lounges, well actually anywhere. God help us all if they ever permit cell-phone usage during flights! We will have a whole new "Cell Phone Pax Attacked" video category going viral on YouTube!

6. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same sentiments as above.
    Are people totally oblivious to the world around them or do they just not give a stuff about anyone else?

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the Ord RCC was sitting in the "quiet area/room" signs posted with a cell phone in a circle and a red line through it, I am sure many you have seen it. I was surprised how many rude people on cell phones came in and sat down while talking. No one including me at the guts to go over and point out the signs to them. One woman came in, I kept looking at her, she at me, then I would look at the sign, she would look at the sign and just ignore it. I think there should be a room just for cell phones, let them all go in there and talk, impress each other on how loud they can speak and all get radiated together. Just like the old smoking rooms that did/still exsist.

8. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use the "Talk To Me" app to remind people in the quiet room at the ORD C16 RCC that it is in fact a [unseemly expletive] quiet area. I like the way the voice nonchalantly says [unseemly expletive]. It's very professional sounding, gets the point across and opens up the "talkers" to a degree of ridicule by other guests who might otherwise have been unable to say anything. BTW, I love all the almighty's creatures, but I hate talkers.

viguera, Quasiconvexity and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    :(

Mapsmith likes this.
  10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was a joke...cheer up mate =D

Mapsmith and PhlyingRPh like this.
  11. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    :)

gobluetwo likes this.
  12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel your pain and agree with the rant- this however is a fact of life as long as we are doomed to fly "commercial".

13. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    They should have a button in the quiet areas that anyone can press to turn on a cell phone jammer for 10 seconds.

14. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY and SC Flier like this.
  15. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about a penalty like they have to sit in the last row of economy in the middle seat:D

16. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    That just makes life even worse for the poor souls who are already stuck in the last row's window and aisle seats. Who are you really trying to punish? ;)

sfo1, LETTERBOY and PhlyingRPh like this.
  17. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the Starbuck on 81st & Broadway some years ago, I was having a nice quiet coffee at a seat by the window overlooking 81st, when a group of 4 women came in and sat down nearby. At some point in their coffee session, one of the women got or made a phone call and, so as not to disturb her companions, got up and left that table. Unfortunately, she walked right up to my chair by the window and proceeded to have her conversation. After about 10 seconds, I turned and started staring hard at her. She gave me a look of “What?!” and I said “Why would you think I’d be any more interested in your loud phone conversation than your own friends that you’d specifically come walking over to me to have it?” She said into her phone, “Hold on a second. I’m going to move to a different spot”, and walked away, never apologizing for disturbing my peace.

Ahhh, sometimes in NYC!:mad:

18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is incredible she moved!

canucklehead likes this.
  19. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I must admit that over the years I have transitioned from passive, to passive-aggressive to downright bloody aggressive when it comes to incessantly loud talkers (incessant = loud volume or annoying voice for more than 2-3 minutes) within a few feet of me in a place where I would expect a bit of peace and quiet.

20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've approached several such people in that area, as well as in the quiet/zen room at SFO and forced them to move. (Also done this in Maple Leaf Lounges and in other clubs where signs clearly mark out an area.) No need to be embarrassed or reticent, these are quiet spaces. But I also find people using Skype in various areas of the lounge being just as obnoxious and loud.

sfo1 and TRAVELSIG like this.
  21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny- last week I was in the SAS lounge at CPH, and they have the Zen "quiet" room upstairs- the only two people talking loudly on their mobile phones in the entire massive SAS lounge complex were in this room....

22. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I shamefully admit that the colleague I brought into the SEA RCC last week was practically yelling at her husband on her cell phone. They are in the process of buying a house, and were having a disagreement over some work that the seller is doing. :rolleyes: I kept motioning to her to keep her voice down, which worked for about 30 seconds before she regressed. .

23. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm consistently surprised when lounge staff fail to act on this breach of serenity. I spent time in the LAS Continental Lounge when a "man" (can't call him a gentleman) was having a phone conversation with his boyfriend's sister, very loudly, explaining to her how much he loves him (her brother) but it just hurts him too much to see "that c*nt [Editor's note: yes, referred to another man as this] f***ing around with that g** d*** cripple instead of me when he knows I love him." That series of lines and adjectives was repeated for about 15 minutes. EVERYONE could hear, and even after several folks commenting to the bartender, nothing was done. Offensive for choice of words, choice of conversation topic (regardless of sexual orientation, wouldn't have been appropriate were he referring to a lady, either), disrespect to disabled folks, etc.

I'd have complained loudly, but I was in on a PriorityPass entrance, so I wasn't really a "paying member."

24. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a bit of a stretch to call RCCs serene or to have a "breach of serenity" when the television is typically reaching volumes approaching a rock concert tuned to some sports game with everyone cheering and the washroom looks like a very bad day in a Vietnamese hostel.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  25. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    This one was still the Continental branding, not the RCC, but I know what you mean. This one could be heard over the TV.

TRAVELSIG likes this.