Dear DL : please solve 757 inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Ryan Bingham, Jul 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't book flights specifically because they're listed as offering live television but if my itinerary shows it, I expect it. I've had several flights this summer swapped out from the 75X (ex-Song with TV) to the standard 757...either from a few days out to a few hours before...and it's getting annoying.

Now comes the internal announcement that Delta is going forward with flat screen TV's in the overhead aisles to replace the older, ray tube TV's, on the majority of the 757 fleet (which doesn't have Live TV). This must mean that prior statements to put in-seat IFE on every 757 is no longer the plan. And, more importantly to me, that new first class seats with in-seat power are no longer in the works.

I'd like to see Delta make more of an effort for consistency here. I mean this is the airline that wants every ticket counter wall to look exactly the same; that wasted no hours pruning the NWA name and logo from the system. Where is the same zest for brand consistency for the in-flight product? Most of us are aware of the nearly dozen seating layouts for the 757 fleet...there are also several different amenities strewn across the fleet as well.

Perhaps Delta ought to pull all of its amenities choices from the flight search functions. Flying domestically, especially on the 757, is a guessing game on whether the listed product will be the actual product.

2. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA doesn't have the benefit of having acquired planes through a massive merger history. SeatGuru lists 14 layouts for AA and 42 for DL. (Although perhaps a couple of the DL ones can be removed. I think all the 764s have been converted to flat beds, right? Of course, soon they'll need the 763 flat bed map.) The diversity of DL's fleet gives it some charm, right? :D

Davescj, icurhere2 and traveller99 like this.
  4. snc1019

snc1019 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Try flying one of the old NWA 757 with zero entertainment in all classes. This can also be said for the Airbus A319 and A320 aircraft that I seem to fly everytime from San Diego to MSP with zero power and no inseat or overhead entertainment.I am a Diamond Medallion and fly first most of the time and have flown flights 1500 miles plus on these planes. Thank god for Macbook Pro's , iPhone 4's and Ipad 2's because without any power in the seats long bayyery life is nessary!

BostonGator likes this.
  5. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the past, I thought there were 42 layouts just for the 752 ;)

I can also attest there's a massive problem with the seat maps on the website at the moment. My next revenue itinerary shows four exit rows at the front of coach, so I took a seat number I know will actually exist.

Davescj and mtkeller like this.
  6. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually each ticket counter should have a different looking wall with the widget in a different part of it....

7. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Delta is supposed to the keep the design fresh and surprising by using our supergraphic in a random way"
    Picture 1.png

Davescj likes this.
  8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I don't fly Delta very much, but as a very frequent AA and UA flyer I have opted for an iPad an decide what to watch myself. Works great ;)

travelgourmet and LAXtraveler like this.
  9. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do the same ever since I got my iPad2

icurhere2 and tommy777 like this.
  10. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1. Even on flights with AVOD, I often don't end up using it. I'd prefer power and wifi to AVOD, though all 3 is fine, assuming the equipment box isn't in the way.

11. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    But IMO the FC the configuration in those airplanes is more comfortable than in the ex-Song ones which have squeezed in an extra row of seats in front. And as far as I am concerned, seat comfort has #1 priority and almost nothing else (especially IFE) matters very much.

TravelerRob likes this.
  12. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The lack of IFE bothered me extensively at one point. Technology was the game change - I don't have the iPad but prefer my Dell tablet and internet access any day of the week for a domestic itinerary now.

13. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish they were more consistent too but the fact is that most of them are so old that there is no point in re-configuring them. Many are getting retired in the next 9 years and will be replaced by a new aircraft, which will likely have just one configuration.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  14. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    To paraphrase a wise man, "A Delta 757 is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get."

I just wish there was a row of seats on every plane that I knew would have movable aisle armrests. Trying to guess where they will be off a seat map is next to impossible on the 757.

DeltaExpert and mtkeller like this.
  15. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hate the former NWA 757s....not for the lack of IFE, but no moving map! I'm all about the map! Other than that, my IFE is a book. I like having a couple hours of quiet time. I keep hoping that there will NEVER be cell phones allowed on planes.

However, that said, I prefer movies to live tv as a rule. But, being able to catch the news or sports is nice.