Deals for nurses?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ggmm, Feb 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ggmm

ggmm Member

Status Points:
    Hello, I'm new here and new to collecting miles/points. I've been online a lot the last few days learning about ways to accumulate miles. I'm a nurse and am wondering if any other nurses or other medical/healthcare people have found any deals, ways to earn points, etc that might be especially relevant to us. For instance an online store for scrubs, supplies, etc that earns points, or... I'm not sure! 10,000 dividend miles for anyone with a valid RN license sounds good to me, but probably unlikely! :)

Thanks!

Gargoyle and MSYgirl like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)

I'd ask my mom, but she's not in the points/miles game (but is a RN). Airlines have shopping portals, although I'm not sure if they would have the items you mentioned. Hopefully someone on here with more experience will chime in.

ggmm likes this.
  3. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    WOW, good luck with the points. Nurses do it with patience (patients)!

ggmm and MSYgirl like this.
  4. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume you want personal points not for a corporation, correct?
    Ways to gain points:
    1. Credit Cards - gain 30,000-100,000 for sign up and points for every dollar spent.
    Citi Bank, Capital One had 100k point promos a year ago but these have dropped down to 30k-50k range.
    Airline all have credit cards that earn points and have promo signup.
    2. Fat Wallet has point options:
    https://www.points.com/loyalty-program/fatwallet
    3. Fidelity has a good PROMO if you have stock equity or cash:
    $50,000 deposit =25000 points or $100,000 deposit=50,000 airline points.

Give me time might have a few more tricks.

5. ggmm

ggmm Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips! Yes, looking to earn personal points. After lots of research, I applied for a chase sapphire preferred card a few days ago, and am ruminating about applying for another but am having a hard time deciding on which one. We have a chase Hyatt card, a capital one venture one (the one with no annual fee), and a credit union related visa that earns scorecard rewards points. (Along with maybe 4 other unused dept store and or non-rewards cards). I have good credit (760 ish according to credit karma), and am paranoid about hurting it with too many inquiries, as we are thinking of buying another house in a couple of years. Also wondering if I'm better off biding my time waiting for some Amazing 100k mile offer!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    MSYgirl likes this.
  6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

Check out the points guy:
    http://thepointsguy.com

ggmm likes this.
  7. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Credit Karma does not give an accurate FICO point score.
    There are 3 different major credit agencies: Equifax, Transunion, Experian.
    Each can have a different FICO score depending which creditors reported to which bureau. Transunion is the least used so Equifax or Experian FICO score would be best.

You can get a free credit report(NOT FICO score) once a year. Suggest you review all and see who is reporting the most credit inquires and check FICO score from the one with the most creditors.

ggmm likes this.
  8. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint! Not aware of any healthcare professional deals for points that I have discovered thus far (I am a surgical resident) but I am still relatively new to the game. As far as new card applications go, I usually try to see what trips I have over the next year and apply accordingly. Last May I began planning a trip to Paris and London for myself and my girlfriend this May. Therefore we applied for a CITI AA Plat (X2), CSP (X2), Chase Freedom and the Club Carlson Card which translated into a coach flight to London on United, business class Iberia (using AA miles) flight back from Paris (with a stop over and free one way to HNL) as well as 4 nights at Club Carlson hotels in London and 4 nights at Hyatts in Paris!

I believe the general rule is to stop applications at least a year before buying a house but don't have personal experience with this. In the mean time I would get the points you will need as well as other good deals that pop up along the way!

Side note: I love the Club Carlson card because of the last night free on award bookings! In London especially there are a lot of properties to choose from and we are spending 2 nights each at two different properties to maximize our points.

9. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might want to look into one of the shopping portal tracking sites like evreward.com. If I go to evreward.com for example and type "scrubs and beyond" into the search box I find I can earn 5X Hilton HHonors points per $ for example. The Frequent Miler did a piece comparing different shopping portals recently (probably Google "frequent miler evreward" and you'll find it). Don't know where Nurses shop online but you can try a few places and see what comes up. Not that shopping portals are a huge payoff (compared to credit card signups anyway) but every point/mile helps!

10. ggmm

ggmm Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for the nice welcome and responses! I checked out evreward.com and there are indeed a few miles-earning options for ordering scrubs, etc. online. I think because my eyes have really just been opened to the concept of earning points by buying stuff (beyond by using credit cards) I'm now kind of hesitating to spend a dime without finding a way to earn a few points!

It's been a couple of years since I've gotten a copy of my legit credit report -- I'll look into that.

TUMD, that's awesome about your London/Paris trip! Coincidentally, my family & I are planning a trip to Dublin, London & Paris this summer, and that was partly my motivation for looking more closely into FF miles. Also my partner is starting to travel a lot more for work, so I figured we might as well take advantage and earn some miles the old-fashioned way. We've used Scorecard rewards (earned with a CU credit card my partner's had for 20+ years) for free domestic flights in the past, but the pace of earning points is glacial, and I feel like their travel portal isn't very good -- flights I can find on expedia, or on airline sites, just don't show up, "cash fares" listed are substantially higher, etc. I'm definitely going to look into the AA card options. AA doesn't have a ton of flights out of our local (non-hub) airport, so I hadn't really been focused on it -- but US Airways does, and I understand that their miles will be interchangeable now, yes?

This might be a question for another thread, but I'm trying to decide if there is any benefit to canceling unused cards? I've got a Chase Slate that I haven't used in at least 2 years, and a couple of dept store cards (signed up for to get 25% off that day's purchase) that are the same.

11. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    In terms of the of the US Airways miles, they are not interchangeable yet, but should be in the future. So you can not combine balances or transfer from one to the other until sometime in the yet to be determined future. However you can use your AA miles to book on US Airways and their flights seems to be appearing when searching for award availability on the AA website.

For the credit cards I would hold the Slate until you apply for some other Chase credit cards. If you are not instantly approved you can call and offer to transfer your credit from your Slate to the new card and then close it. Regardless you really shouldn't close the card without transfer the credit on it to a different Chase card so that you can keep your available credit that you already have.

The department store cards I would throw in a drawer if you have had them for a while to keep the age of your cards up and if they are not that I old I think I would just cancel them. But I don't have a lot of experience with department store cards so someone else might have different ideas on that.

ggmm and Gargoyle like this.
  12. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

ggmm likes this.
  13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are many Medical Conventions, use the Hotels Credit Card and your airline FF Number, HR will pay you back,

ggmm likes this.
  14. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Um, MD says, what now? I've been in the game for years, nothing special for doctors that I've encountered. Only time I got anything extra was when Continental (pour some for the departed) gave me 15,000 miles after taking care of 2(!) patients during domestic flight. Granted, I had spent 15,000 miles to upgrade to first class for that flight and spent no more than an hour in the seat...

satman40 and ggmm like this.
  15. ggmm

ggmm Member

Status Points:
    Oh god, that's terrible, yet typical. There are some theme parks in my area that occasionally have discounts for docs, nurses & EMT's (and other times cops, firefighters, or military) -- I was fantasizing that someone out there had something equivalent in the points/miles world! Guess I'll have to be good with buying my scrubs through miles portals and/or flights to conferences with a miles-earning CC.

16. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The company picks up the tab for continuing ED, just looking for and interesting location,

That is about the only perk I see.

17. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're planning to purchase a house in a the next two years you might consider not getting too many cards. While it won't affect your credit score too much it will work against your approval. Or you may be approved at a higher rate. You should also consider getting rid of your department store cards. They are looking at exposure. If you have too many credit cards, even if they have no balance, it will be held against you.

18. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No more houses for me, have over 20 and would love to sell some, built my first one in 65.

I built several with CC's,

In the old days UA had a limit if 10k in miles a month, thing are a lot easier now.

I find the more you borrow the easier it is, you can even pitch for a lower rate,
    Face it the worse they can say is no,

19. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    canceling unused cards? I've got a Chase Slate that I haven't used in at least 2 years, and a couple of dept store cards (signed up for to get 25% off that day's purchase) that are the same.[/QUOTE]

I would email chase to product change Slate to Freedom card.