Dealing with friends caught up in "multi-level marketing" crapola

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Years ago, I had some friends that ended up being not friends after they both quit their decent-paying jobs and went gung ho right into eventual Chapter 7 trying to sell some product that - well I never was quite sure what it was, but they got caught up in some cult-like crap, became more distant, and then (I believe) eventually were too humiliated to go back to some of their pre-stupidity friends. Sad, but years ago, and you move on.

Now, another friend is all hyped up on a product, and has been politely trying to push it, and I don't think it is ending soon. (It is all connected to a guy she's been seeing.) I think I can wade through this one without saying something that I'll regret, and know that eventually it will end (because after all, how many people get the "Pink Cadillac" - even though that isn't what this one is about).

I'm interested to hear how others have dealt with this, and also from those who went off the deep end themselves and ate the humble pie.

2. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone approached me to join one of those clubs selling whatever product category was being offered. Minimum investment was $1500. For everyone I got to sign up after me, I would get some $$$. Hmmm. Where I have heard that before??

SC Flier, savydog and Gaucho like this.
  3. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really need to make some extra money, like yesterday. I looked into several opportunities to be my own boss. The start up costs were out of my price comfort for me, I had no one to borrow from. So I didn't sign up for Amway. I'm glad I didn't invest in their "starter kit".. Everyone I know has no extra cash to spend on Amway products when they can, if they can afford to buy it local at a much better price.

I was thinking of selling my stuff on eBay, but I am afraid of all the fraud going on and high commision fees. Maybe I'll try craigslist, with both eyes wide open.

I feel for your friends.

4. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being in the courier industry, it seems we are easily targeted by these people, because, after all, we are delivering their stuff to them. I worked with one woman who was in to that Tahitian Noni juice, the magic cure all. I asked here why she missed so much time at work with sickness if this stuff was so good. I had another who quit his job to go sell financial products for Primerica. Sorry, truck driver today, financial advisor tomorrow? No, I have somebody thanks. Another one was involved in a company that re-sold internet access, natural gas at supposedly cheap rates, and cheap electricity. His sales pitch didn't last too long after prices for all three soon dropped to below (well below in the case of natural gas) the contract prices his suckers were locked in at.

However, if you all could support your local Amway rep, they are a big customer of ours. I'd appreciate it LOL.

MissBurrill, Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  5. SoFlyOn
    Original Member

SoFlyOn Silver Member

Status Points:
    jld_tupperware_big-796818.jpg
    Let me be the first to invite you to my virtual Tupperware Party!
    [Seems logical if we can have a virtual wine-tasting here on MP] :D

kellio and jbcarioca like this.
  6. SoFlyOn
    Original Member

SoFlyOn Silver Member

Status Points:
    south_park_xenu.jpg
    May I offer you a free personality test?

karenkay likes this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At least with Tupperware, you end up with something useful.

8. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yay! how much?[​IMG]

savydog likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have bailed out a family member who got caught in one of these scams, in her case Mary Kay. It is astounding that otherwise intelligent people fall for this idiocy. I have no solution, but it cost me a fair amount to bail her out and I have no desire to repeat it.

Gaucho likes this.
  10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh it has gotten much worse. Now they are all getting their BMWs - well, the racket apparently is (upon my own independent research) is that you get an allowance for your BMW payment while you are selling $X+++/month, but the BMW lease is between the individual and BMW directly, so if you ever lose the allowance, you are escrewed.

Gaucho likes this.
  11. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I know a lot of people who do these group sales and multi-level things. I don't known any who make much money doing it - the ones who do spend a LOT of time recruiting into their downline.

Several have gotten hooked in because the product fed their own personal shopping addiction (makeup, clothing, jewelry, candles, baskets, scrapbook stuff, cooking utensils, etc) and a lot have been educated stay-at-home moms, desperate to hold on to some sense of their former selves.

I get tired of being invited to the damned parties - probably average two invites a week!!!

savydog and Gaucho like this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I know someone who has been in that one for years, put a huge amount of time in it, and AFAIK never generated any downstream or any significant revenue. But the promises made were big. :(

Gaucho likes this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pyramid scheme...????? :p

Gargoyle likes this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very easy... just be blunt and be clear. It may be a little not so comfy at first but in the long run its best for you and for your friend(s)....

15. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tupperware is a good thing.... ;)

16. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ¿Qué pensás vos, don Che Malbec? ;)

17. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not so easy. The person inserting his male phalange into her tunnel of velvety goodness is the one who got her involved in this - as long as the insertions continue, so will the marketing. I have a feeling there are going to be a bunch of repossessed BMWs in the near future.

Children, that simply means putting your finger in a cannoli.

18. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Virtual wine tasting? Where? :p

MissBurrill and savydog like this.
  19. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tunnel of velvety WHAT? Hey, friend, you may just have a product to market there! ;)

I don't respond to the email or FB invitations on these things. If the huckster, or the huckster's victim (the party host/hostess) has the chutzpah to talk to me in person about it after I didn't respond, I tell them "no, thank you." If they push it, and I mean really push it, I will tell them exactly why I am not interested in buying their cheap costume jewelry, scrapbooking junk, cheap kitchen stuff, third-rate cosmetics, "personal" toys, or whatever particular line of destined-for-the-trashcan merchandise they are hawking.