Dealing with Emergencies in Florence

Discussion in 'Europe' started by NileGuide, Jul 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Florence is a safe city to walk around in but there are always things people should be aware of. Pickpocketing is one of the biggest crimes you must look out for in Florence. While walking around the busy streets where there are many tourist shops be aware of the people around you. The places I will keep an eye on your purse and wallet is the bus and in crowded piazze and streets. For example near the Duomo and the Ponte Vecchio.
    There are many gypsies that come up to you begging for change and could easily steal your wallet without you knowing it. This has happened to me, by the way. Then there are the Moroccan and Albanian men who sell the phony posters on the street who can also be pretty sketchy. I want to bring to light the other thing that is shady. which is the fake designer bags that the African men sell on the streets at night. I would think twice before buying one since it is a crime to buy these bags in Italy. If you get caught buying one, you could be fined up to 1,000 euro.

I’m telling all you travelers to Florence to be smart while walking around, you don’t have to be paranoid that people are trying to rip you off. Florence is a safe city, I’ve never felt unsafe in this city. Always keep your purse or wallet close by your side. Always know what pocket you put your wallet in. A suggestion, before leaving for your trip, stop by a travel store and pick up a money belt or neck pouch for your important documents, like credit cards and passports.
    If you have an urgent need for some medical attention, you can enter the nearest hospital, Ospedale di Santa Maria Nuova at the Pronto Soccorso (emergency room and outpatient) located in the center of Florence. Here are some important numbers to know when staying in Florence:
    Traffic Police–055 227 69
    Medical Emergencies/Ambulance–118

Ospedale di Santa Maria Nuova

Ospedale di Santa Maria Nuova
    Piazza di Santa Maria Nuova 1
    055 275 81
    Interior of the Farmacia Moltreni
    Farmacia Molteni–open 24 hours
    Via dei Calzaiuoli 7r
    055 289 490
    Photo credit: Ospedale, Farmacia

Continue reading...