dealing with a Dormant HHonors account

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Gaucho, Sep 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Greetings to the resident HHonors experts. I have an HHonors account thats about 10 or so years old, and Im guessing its gone "dormant" since Ive not had any activity for at least 4 years. I had top tier status for 2 years, and mid tier status for a few others, back in my old finance days.

Is there any chance this account is still in the database and I can get it brought back to life...?

I must admit to not even remembering if this account had any points in it.... :oops: not sure it matters anymore, but what happens to points that are sitting around in a dormant account...?

Thoughts, experiences and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Gaucho

2. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd call up Hilton and check on it. If you know your account number and password, you could always check on the website.

Gaucho likes this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The news I am afraid will not be good, the boards have a plethora of complaints from members who have had points in dormant accounts and have lost them.
    HH on the whole seems to be not too proactive in informing members about impeding loss of points. I believe you are required by the T & C to earn points within a two or three year period to keep the account active.

Unless they offer you a promo to resurrect the lost points ( which will probably involve some stays) I would just open a new account or resuming using the old account number if you plan to stay at Hiltons.

Gaucho likes this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch....... :(

Well, I figured as much..... I will see if I can dig up my old account number and password and see what comes up if I log into my account.

Thanks !!

Jimgotkp likes this.
  5. AAL

AAL Silver Member

Status Points:
    The official policy is that HHonors points expire if there is no activity for a year, but I am not sure if that is strictly followed. When I recently started paying attention to points, I discovered that I had about 20,000 HHonors points accumulated over the past five years or so. I could reconstruct my occasional stays at Doubletree, Hampton and Embassy Suites, but there was a gap of more than a year during which I can't recall a stay. So there may be a bit of leniency in the application of the policy. Or maybe I have just forgotten a stay.

I have had my SPG account go dormant at least twice and have resurrected it by emailing customer service -- but no points restored. On the other hand, my Hyatt points from a stay five years ago remain intact.

Now that I am paying attention, I have figured out a way to add points to almost all my various accounts to keep them alive until I can use them.

Gaucho and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all for your input. Ive just received an email from a HHonors representative, so I will see what I can work out.

Have to say Im very impressed by the proactive service... kudos to Hilton for the initiative !!!

ACMM likes this.
  7. Camino Cielo

Camino Cielo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was blessed a couple of years ago to receive an email notice that my points would be lost if I did not have activity soon. It had been a couple of years since I'd had activity. I say "a couple of years" because I know it must have exceeded the year by quite a bit, but I don't know by how much. I think HHonors was kind to me at the time because they shifted from their rolling tier m.o. (forget its name) across the same period. Anyway, I called them because there wasn't a "Use By" date certain. The CSR was vague, and said she was surprised that I'd been notified. She didn't give me a date certain, but I was saying I was going to get to it right away, anyway. I immediately shifted 1,000 points from the eRewards program, and was safe. Shortly thereafter I received two challenges -- one directly from United (...the good old days were so recent...) and one from HHonors related to the Visa Signature card. I fulfilled them both, redundantly, and was back in "Gold graces" (sic) with HHonors.

Very nice move on their part, bringing me back into the fold, followed by a reasonable tease(s). So, here I am!

[Insert several thumbs up icons here.]

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a follow up, the person from Hilton that contacted me was able to restore my old account and, he did A LOT MORE than that !!!!! :cool:

Thank you HHonors..... I am truly impressed.... :)

iolaire likes this.
  9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    So... my account was brought back to life.... nice to have my points that expired back.... just booked a stay at a Hampton Inn. I chose the fixed miles option, will I get 500 or 1000 miles to my AAdvantage account...? Ive booked a low rate of $99 plus taxes.

Thanks !!!

10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news in the end. You never know what you are going to get until you inquire and ask I guess! Kudos to HH for treating you in a civilized manner :)

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did they reach out to you based on your thread here, or did you contact them separately?

Gaucho likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At Hampton Inn: 100 miles for the points and fixed miles option

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/points/doubledipping.do

Gaucho likes this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was an automatic reach out by them... truly impressive !!!

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho likes this.
  16. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understood... thanks !!!

Wel, I have some 30,000 HHonors points sitting there and a conversion to airline miles may not be a bad idea... I need to think about this for a while and will then decide what to do.